- Doc Memo: Documentaries About NYC, Kiarostami from the Doc Side
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the winner will be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- Documentary Films? That's Entertainment!
Documentaries have started to assert that they, like their Hollywood cousins, can be more than simply 'engaging.' Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says they can be entertaining diversions too.
- My Five Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Fest 2012
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including How to Survive a Plague, The Imposter, Bully, Searching for Sugar Man and Undefeated.
- A Preview of the 2012 True/False Film Fest
Tom Roston gives a rundown of the films he is looking forward to seeing at the True/False documentary festival, as well as some of the quirky events he hopes to catch while he's there.
- Oscar 2012: 'Undefeated,' and the New Rules for Predicting an Academy Award Win
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston's Documentary Oscar streak is over, but he's planning a come back next year with a new standard for predicting the winner.
- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.
- Oscar 2012: 'Undefeated,' As Luck Would Have It
Adam Schartoff talks with TJ Martin and Daniel Lindsay, the Oscar nominated filmmakers behind the documentary Undefeated.
- Oscar 2012: Surprises Among the Documentary Nominations
Wow. The Oscar nominees were just announced this morning and I have to admit I was shocked. I was so expecting a number of popular and incredibly well-made films to get the nods, but I was wrong.
- Oscar 2012: Best Feature Documentary Nominees List Includes 'If a Tree Falls'
The Academy has announced its nominees for 2011's Best Documentary Feature and Documentary Short Subject, which includes two POV films: If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front and The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement.
- The 2011 Documentary Oscars: My Shortlist
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes an entirely different list of 15 films that could have just as easily been deemed Oscar-worthy.
- The United States of Documentaries (Map)
A state-by-state breakdown of the best, most representative and most unique documentaries from the 50 states and Washington, D.C.