Today I have fun learning to braze the metal parts
together to get a good seal. Unfortunately there weren't
any cleaning brushes so I didn’t do a good job
in cleaning up the parts before brazing and so it didn’t
go well. But I had a lot of fun with the oxy-acetylene
torch and managed to get the hang of it all okay.
The seal at the end of the rocket is crucial for the
success of the thing taking off. Ideally it would be
good to have a lead seal which would melt at a high
temperature and then release the pent up pressure –
and launch. However I could not get the lead to stick
in properly and it leaked water anyway! So for a first
try we used epoxy resin to seal the hole.
Tried out the first steam rocket experiments. Made
up a launching system to hold the rocket upright while
it is being heated. Unfortunately I found that the thing
leaked and so had to go back to the drawing board. It
didn’t leak at the epoxy hole though so it seems
that the welding / brazing weren’t good enough.