- Photo Gallery: Building the Transcontinental Railroad
- General Article: The Impact of the Transcontinental Railroad
- Biography: Collis P. Huntington (1821-1900)
- Poll Results: Poll Results
- General Article: Asa Whitney (1791-1874) and Early Plans for a Transcontinental Railroad
- Flash Interactive: The Race to Utah!
The remarkable story of greed, innovation and gritty determination to build a railroad connecting California to the East. Peopled by the ingenious entrepreneurs whose unscrupulous financing got the line laid, the brilliant engineers who charted the railroad's course and hurdled the geological obstacles in its way, the armies of workers who labored relentlessly on the enterprise, and the Native Americans whose lives were destroyed in its wake, The Transcontinental Railroad reveals both why the railroad was built and how it would shape the nation, while shedding light on the politics and culture of mid-19th century America.
My American Experience
The Railroad revolutionized American travel. Many people ride trains today not just for transportation, but also as a way to see the country. What trains have you been on? Have you been in a Pullman car? Share your most memorable train ride.