D'Addario photographed a brand-new memorial honoring Soviet soldiers who died fighting in Berlin. When the city was partitioned, the memorial ended up on the Western side, making it inaccessible to the Soviets except on special holidays.
To its right is the Reichstag building, where the German parliament met from 1894 until 1933 when Hitler rose to power. At the end of the war, it was heavily damaged. In 1999, ten years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the renovated building would reopen as reunified Germany's seat of government.