Ahu Akivi is situated nine miles (15 kilometers) from the quarry. It has been estimated that
the moai at this site were probably transported and erected after AD 1400.
The replica moai was created from photogrammetric data collected on one statue at Ahu Akivi by
Jo Anne Van Tilburg, but is actually represents the statistically average shape, height and weight
of 134 statues found intact outside of the quarry where they were carved.
Ahu Akivi is an unusual site because it is inland. Although many
visitors assume the statues were placed here to face the ocean, in fact they were meant to look out over
a very large village which today is in ruins. The site was restored in 1960 by the American archaeologist William
Mulloy. During the restoration, it took a full month—using a stone ramp and two wooden
levers—to raise the first of the seven moai. By the time they got to the last moai, the same
task took them less than a week.