» Student Handout:What is Alternative and Complementary Medicine?
» Section I.
The following Web site has been prepared by the National Center for Alternative and Complementary Medicine [NCCAM]. Use this Web page to answer the following questions: http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/
1. What are the definitions for alternative and complementary medicines?
2. What is the difference between alternative medicine and complementary medicine?
3. In the section that discusses the major types of complementary and alternative medicines find your assigned category. Read and discuss the information for your category. Using your own words, summarize the main points.
4. Look at the Dictionary of Terms and using your own words, summarize the terms that apply to your topic.
» Section II.
Using the following Web sites, look for additional information on the category of medicine that you are researching and answer the following questions:
Alternative Health News Online
United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
1Up Health http://www.1uphealth.com
1. What are three kinds of illnesses treated by your alternative medicine?
2. Summarize two case studies that were presented.
3. Was there scientific evidence presented to support the claims of recovery? Explain.
4. What factors might most influence people to try this kind of medicine?
5. What are positive or negative things about this kind of medicine?
6. Does the placebo effect seem to have an impact on the category of alternative medicine that you studied? If so, how?
7. Which Web site gave the most complete information on alternative medicine? What may the inclusion or omission of information on alternative medicine tell you about the Web site?