THOUGHT PROVOKING JOURNALISM
ON AIR AND ONLINE
- In what ways might climate change affect the way people live?
- Describe how our economy and way of life are dependent on fossil fuels.
- Describe the problems developing countries face in trying to modernize.
- Describe how U.S. policy toward global warming changed between the Kyoto Protocol and the 2007 United Nations Climate Change Conference held in Bali.
- Why is the expression “America is addicted to coal” true?
- Why is “clean coal” technology going to be difficult to implement as an environmentally acceptable fuel for producing electricity?
- What is President-elect Barack Obama’s position on clean coal?
- Historically, what has been the U.S. automakers’ policy on fuel-efficient cars?
- How has this policy benefited the automakers and cost the American consumer?
- Explain how the oil industry’s attitude toward renewable energy is similar to the U.S. automakers’ attitude toward fuel-efficient cars?
- Describe the lesson learned after the Clinton administration’s attempt to encourage U.S. automakers to produce fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Explain why corn-based ethanol might ultimately be an impractical alternative to gasoline.
- Describe how Europe has taken the lead in developing fuel-efficient vehicles and renewable energy.
- How will T. Boone Pickens’ natural gas and wind plan and building more nuclear power plants help address America’s dependence on fossil fuels?
- With all the evidence indicating that fossil fuel consumption contributes to global warming, why do you think Congress is still unable to come up with a plan to address the problem?