- How does the founding of Mormonism reflect social changes taking place in America during the early 19th century?
- Why do you think the early Mormon community faced hostility from other Americans?
- Explain this observation from the documentary: "[Mormons are the] embodiment of what it means to be American."
- What do you think accounts for changes in Americans' perception of the Mormon community?
- What internal and external factors led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to change its policies and permit blacks to join the priesthood? What has been the impact of this new policy?
- Why do you think The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints modified its logo?
- What is the role of missionaries in the church? What challenges do missionaries face?
- What is the Mormon view on gays, feminists and intellectuals in their community? How does the church address dissent on these views?
- Consider the development of Mormonism. Why do you think the family unit became a critical component of Mormonism?
- Why did the Mormon Church vigorously lobby against the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970s?