» Student Handout:
Questions for Viewing
As you watch "The Other Drug War," answer the following questions:
- Why are prescription drugs so expensive for seniors in the United States? Why do they cost less in other countries?
- What legislation did Maine politicians pass to lower the prices of prescription drugs? Describe the legal battles that evolved between Maine and drug companies as a result of the legislation. Do you believe the final outcome was justified? Why or why not?
- What policies has the state of Oregon enacted to reduce the costs of prescription drugs? What have been the results?
- What is Congress considering to reduce the price of drugs for seniors nationwide?
- What is the principle argument that drug companies use to justify high prices? What is the counter argument against the need for high prices?
- Why does one physician on the film say he writes prescriptions for the brand name drugs requested by his patients? How do you evaluate his reason?