» Student Handout:
Discussion Questions Following Viewing
Students that are not familiar with the Islamic faith should read the definition of key terms and a brief overview of the Islamic religion. This can be found at:
FRONTLINE Teacher Center: "Muslims" Teacher's Guide [URL:
The last decades have marked a clash of cultures and understandings between the United States and Saudi Arabia. Try to understand what caused this clash as you watch the documentary and answer these questions.
- How and why did Abd al-Aziz ibn Saud change the organization of the Arabian Peninsula?
- What methods did Abd al-Aziz use to gain power in Saudi Arabia? What impact does the fatwa have on the consolidation of power?
- How did the creation of Aramco change the lives of the people of Saudi Arabia?
- Explain how President Roosevelt and President Truman influenced the American relationship with the Saudi leaders.
- Why did people believe that King Saud was not as good a leader as his father?
- How and why did problems develop between Gamal Abdel Nasser and King Saud?
- What methods did the new King Faisal use to modernize Saudi Arabia? How did this eventually lead to his death?
- Compare the causes and results of the 1967 and 1973 Arab-Israeli wars.
- How did these wars cause problems for the United States?
- What impact did the 1978 economic boom have on Saudi Arabia? How and why did this lead to violence?
- What motivated Saudi Arabia and the United States to assist Afghanistan? How did this war influence Osama bin Laden?
- What long lasting problems did Desert Storm cause Saudi Arabia and the United States?
- How does the book Defending Virtue illustrate the position of women in Saudi Arabia?