Optional Post-Viewing Activity
- After viewing the program students can track the audience reaction to Showdown with Iran at www.pbs.org/frontline/showdown/talk/
- Access "Join the Discussion" and review the comments that viewers submitted.
- For those viewers who offered positive feedback, what did they identify as strengths of this program?
- For those viewers who offered critical feedback, what did they identify as shortcomings of this program?
- To what extent do students agree or disagree with viewers' feedback?
Review students' responses for clarity.
- Identify what you think are U.S. political, military or economic interests in the Middle East.
- Identify what you think are Iranian political, military or economic interests in the Middle East.
- Identify what you think are the positions of European and Middle Eastern nations regarding Iran's:
- pursuit of a nuclear program
- revival of Shi'ism
- role in the Middle East
- With respect to the current war in Iraq, what role does Iran play in this conflict? Why is Iranian involvement a serious concern for the U.S.? Why is U.S. involvement a serious concern for Iran?
- Who were the "reformists" in Iran and what was their agenda? Who are the "hardliners" and what is their agenda for Iran?
- After Iran assisted U.S. efforts to defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan, why did tension increase between Iran and the U.S.?
- Why is the U.S.S. Nimitz, a U.S. warship patrolling the Persian Gulf, described by one of its captains as "eleven hundred feet of U.S. diplomacy?"
- Why do you think FRONTLINE producers named this program Showdown with Iran?
- Do you think this is an appropriate title? Why or why not?
- What other titles would aptly describe this program?