tehranbureau An independent source of news on Iran and the Iranian diaspora
nextback

I could have settled for Michael Jackson

28 Jun 2009 22:5611 Comments
Iranelection

By M.E. Dabiri in Tehran | 28 June 2009

I say, I don't accept him as my president. I haven't accepted him for the past four years, and I don't accept him for the next four years.

You say, he has drawn 24 million votes (out of 42 million); he is now the legitimate president of the country.

I say, this sounds like a re-run of the last election. You have cheated again on the votes; he couldn't possibly have drawn 24 million votes.

You smack me on the head with a baton.

I have many friends who say you have done the same thing. You shot one of them in the heart, you shot a pregnant woman in the abdomen; you killed at least 19 people for protesting your fraudulent elections.

I say, all right, I'll just go home and mind my own business. That is what I've done all my life. You were the one who encouraged me to vote.

You say, that is because we want to show the world that this is a democracy, that people turn out en masse to vote; this will legitimize our republic.

I say, how can it legitimize your republic when you cheat on such a massive scale?

You take out a gun and threaten to kill me.

I say, o.k., o.k., I'll just go home and fix dinner. How about ash-e kashk with a long baguette? I mean, who wanted a democracy anyway? The country was ruled by a king for 2,500 years. (At least then we had a queen we could ogle.) If you had just told me that you were a king in a black turban, I would have just accepted it; I don't know.

You see, I don't even trust in your wisdom. A spiritual guardian is supposed to be wise. I say, not only do I not accept the president, but I don't even accept the valiy-e faqih.

You don't want to talk about that because it is written in the constitution that the country is to be ruled by a valiy-e faqih, who is commander in chief of the armed forces, and who has the final word on foreign policy, who never wants to improve relations with the United States (because that would weaken his position -- if he didn't have an enemy, who could he blame for everything?)

I say, why don't we make a deal? You rule the country according to your interpretation of the Qur'an and Nietzsche's idea of the will to power, and I will listen to Michael Jackson.

Then you will have a nation to rule, while I will stop being insulted by a turbaned king who cheats me, lies to me, beats me with a stick, and then calls for unity.

*** M.E. Dabiri is a pen name.

Copyright (c) 2009 Tehran Bureau

SHAREtwitterfacebookSTUMBLEUPONbalatarin reddit digg del.icio.us

Amazing article...your bravery is inspirational. We stand united with you.

Jennifer / June 28, 2009 11:31 PM

A friend of mine in Iran is in mourning now for the death of a family member.

Your friend is shot, my friend's family is shot. This is a thing nobody wants to have in common! This is a thing we would give anything we have, if we could make it not have happened, and yet, that's not the way the world works. It has.

And so we grieve. And over here in America, we wait for news. Not knowing is the horror of a thousand imaginings, all bad. Knowing, we find out which horror has

hit which of our friends.

I went on the radio here, yesterday, to share a song, and speak my friend's grief

aloud, in his own words, with no names said, for the sake of the family. So that the story be known. So that the pain be understood. So that people here have a bit more understanding of what is happening now, in Iran.

Bless all of you who are getting the news out. I grieve also that you have so

much loss, and pain, and cruelty that you are forced to experience, and so, have to speak of now. I grieve that you are yourselves at risk for sending us word of the protests. Yet at the same time, I am grateful for your efforts to send word of what is happening. We need to know. It is thanks to your courage that we are hearing, in spite of everything. May you make it through this, somehow.

And for my friend's family, and your friend too, we say, "Your place is empty now. We miss you, so very much."

Peg / June 29, 2009 8:16 AM

Your country is in my thoughts. I try to keep up with what is happening there everyday. I turned our TV off when Michael Jackson died because he is NOT important. You are important to me. Thank goodness for Twitter and Facebook.

A Librarian / June 29, 2009 8:42 AM

Khamenei or his ilk isn't Religious; they are Sacrilegious!

Jaker / June 29, 2009 10:32 PM

This is when the pen is more powerfull than the sword /stick or gun.

Gj!

herbie / June 30, 2009 1:36 PM

What a powerful powerful article. Well done!

As others have said Thank you so much for you bravery. The people of Iran have exposed the regime for what it is, and you have shown that no one either in Iran or outside of it actually believes the lies that have been told.

Keep going!

Keep writing!

They have lost creditability and every move they make, takes them closer to their own destruction.

They will implode - they have tried to break the will of the people and have failed. Where else is there for a failed regime to go?

Every bruise and gun shot inflicted by this tyranny is another nail in their coffin - oh I hope and pray that their end will come soon, with no more senseless violence.

Davoda / July 1, 2009 7:41 AM

Bravo!!! Absolutely wonderful!!

Dave In America / July 1, 2009 9:59 PM

I am speechless!!! I have been following the "elections" every day, cannot take my mind off what is happening...I have cried, I have prayed, I have asked god (there is only one so I will not give him a name)to protect your country and your rights, I have read every piece of information I can get about this horrendous regime...then I read what you wrote...I laughed and cried because... how is it possible to suffer this terror and still have this sense of humour? I admire ALL of you, brave youth of Iran. Like Herbie so wisely said: "This is when the pen is more powerfull than the sword /stick or gun."

I wish you courage and peace.

Monique / July 4, 2009 12:08 PM

This is an incredibly moving sentiment, and I sympathize with the cruelty and injustice that is being enacted upon the people of Iran.

However, I must implore Tehran Bureau to please not publish such defeatist sentiments, at least not at this time when it is so important to keep high the spirit and hope of the revolution.

The conclusion drawn from this article is that there is no point in fighting, that there is no way to win, and that is not the message that I wish for the Iranians to hear.

If this article succeeds in convincing even one person that it's better to give up and go home than to courageously fight for justice, then it is doing with words what the government is trying to do through violence.

What the protesters need is encouragement, support, and the knowledge that there is a light at the end of this tunnel. History shows us many examples of successful revolutions from the people, including Iran's own Islamic Revolution. This is not the time to give up, and I understand that the threat of death is imminent and dire, but the revolution is not just an "I," it is a "we," and with unity and solidarity the Iranian people really can affect change.

Zu Star / July 9, 2009 10:19 PM

I still remember watching the smooth criminal video over and over. RIP

Thai Sims / August 3, 2009 4:26 PM

Goodbye Michael :( Such a talented, yet troubled man.

AAID / September 1, 2009 1:09 PM