tehranbureau An independent source of news on Iran and the Iranian diaspora
nextback

Updates

29 Jun 2009 15:518 Comments
5069_93076047843_89317817843_2128097_443747_n

29 June 2009 | 2:00 pm Eastern: [translated] After the 10 o'clock news, when the result of the Guardian Council's vote count was announced, the sound of Allah o Akbar [protesters chanting 'God is Great'] sounded more loudly than ever before. More and more people are joining those chanting, and people sound angrier than ever.

Lara Setrakian | ABC News: Guardian Council confirms Ahmadinejad's win after partial recount of #Iranelection

29 June 2009: I was at Ghoba [Mosque] yesterday. When [presidential candidate] Karoubi arrived, they started hitting all the people around him, even the old women. On Parkway right now people are beeping their horns, and basij has responded by smashing their windscreens and slashing their tires.

SHAREtwitterfacebookSTUMBLEUPONbalatarin reddit digg del.icio.us

I guess I just dont understand what the deal is????? if these people are so asured of there win why are they so afraid to redue the election ? sounds to me very guilty!!!

I dont think this is going to settle down at all until something more fair is done to asure an acurate vote count. Keep it up Iran, you have the RIGHT to be heard around the world!

jill / June 29, 2009 3:43 PM

I do not believe they know the TRUTH if it hit them in the face with it. Come on now,that many votes counted in such few hrs. makes Ahmadinejad President again? No way!

claude w smallwood / June 29, 2009 7:58 PM

President Obama & the other Western leaders should make a statement now that they're not going to recognize the result of this election recount. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. This is a rogue government & should not be recognized by any one not even the dog's dinner. If world leader's do nothing about this, then I can promise it will come back to haunt them in 2 years or less. Ahmadinejad is not worth talking to; regard's the Nuclear Weapon's issue, as the world knows now he's a tyrant & a liar & his confidant Khamenei is no better, in fact, he's worse than even "Worse"!

Jaker / June 29, 2009 8:34 PM

Jaker

Why didn't US/westeren leades raise voice against Musharaff of Pakistan when he became President even being in Military Uniform. He destroyed judicial system in Pakistan by sending 60 judges home. He did so because he feared judges will barr him from contesting elections in Military Uniform.WHY US/WEST and puppet UN accepted him for 8 years?

When western leaders/US will end their double standards?

Why US/wetersn does not speak against KINGS of Saudia, UAE, Jordan

Rahim / June 30, 2009 9:01 AM

Rahim,

Their answer: They need allies in the region and injecting democracy does not work very well. (Iraq)

My answer: Oil

Esh Tamid / June 30, 2009 3:20 PM

I am just so sad, sitting here cannot stop crying. I fled my country with my family at the age of 8 because we were bahais. Persecuted for our faith. Relivng todays situation it shows you how evil these people are that they are doing it to their own people. I have come in peace with what was done and being done to the Bahais but this is beyond evil. All of this has made me go into the past and read more about the shah era. Of all I can understand things were not all that greta either back then. What is with us Iranian. Are we doomed? Is our essence built of hatred and anger? is this our legacy. I am tired of this total blackness. I am tired of this sad history. I am beyond depressed to have hope for any bright future. We keep making the same misakes. I cannot stop crying!

Negar / June 30, 2009 5:27 PM

Negar, please do not weep. Things will get a lot better soon. Can't you see the hardliners are trembling in fear now behind the military forces? They locked up oppositions, silenced the people, even resorted to killing their fellow Iranians. These are works of cowards. The Islamic regime is about to crumble.

People Power will win and a new democratic Iran will emerge. Allahu Akbar!

shetty / July 3, 2009 8:21 AM

It all becomes more clear when you realize how much the IRGC (Revolutionary Guard) benefits and profits from the status quo. This report from The Nation inludes its conclusions:

which clarifies how difficult it is going to be for legitimate entities to achieve reform. The hardliners and the IRGC are to the point where they have too much control, and too much to lose if reforms help to open Iran to better ties with other countries, more legal trade, etc.

Hopefully, internal reformist movements will succeed, since they may be driven by public outcry and acclaim, but, failing that, some in the west have plans to insure that Iran does not develop nuclear weapons, at least not under this illegitimate and deranged government.

Roger / July 8, 2009 11:57 AM