tehranbureau An independent source of news on Iran and the Iranian diaspora
nextback

Lovers Brace for Summer

by ALI CHENAR in Tehran

02 May 2010 14:0335 Comments
people_in_laleh_park.jpgMorality patrols return to threaten the innocence of youth, but the social dynamic has changed.

In Tehran the other day, while riding in a taxi, I passed a shopping center. A white minivan with the green markings of the state police force stood at its entrance. One of the other passengers asked the driver, "Have they already started the social security thing this summer?" He was referring to the annual efforts to enforce hejab and the officially defined dress code. The campaign usually gets started around the end of spring, continues through summer, and then fades away when autumn begins. Last year, political turmoil forced the authorities to forget about dress code and other morality enforcement. This year, they are set to return to their old habits.

The driver replied, "No, not yet. They are about to, though. They're gonna chase after women and teenagers like wild animals! Ruining their summer!" Driver and passengers began a lively exchange of opinions on the topic -- the freedom of people to socialize, the changing times and the acceptance of teenage dating. It was one of many such conversations I participated in and overheard in recent weeks on the topic.

True, some are horrified by the trends in fashion and custom, by the shorter, tighter jackets women choose to wear, by the scarves that fail to cover their long, lavish hair, by the liberal manner in which men and women socialize with each other. But these developments, which some might imagine are limited to affluent northern Tehran, are increasingly widespread. A computer salesman who travels frequently to different cities for his job told me, "You think this is a north of Tehran thing now and you are wrong. Everywhere people are opening up, and everywhere the social pattern is changing." Sara, a sociology student at one of the provincial universities, laughed at me when I suggested small cities must be different, still conservative. She said, "Open your eyes. The society is changing, and it has already changed consciously. Look, before the Revolution there were many factors encouraging a Western outlook in fashion here. Now it is our choice to dress like this." She laughed bitterly. "A choice for which we are punished, but nonetheless our choice."

I agree with Sara, social patterns are changing. Iran has one of the youngest populations in the world. Two thirds of Iranians are younger than 30, and a quarter are less than 15. Those who were born in the 1980s are in their twenties now, and they have brought a new dynamic to the streets of Iran. The other day I saw a young girl in a chador with beautiful eyes holding a young man's arm as they walked down Enghelab Street in central Tehran. They talked, giggled, whispered in each other's ears. Ten years ago, such a scene would have been very unusual. In those days, a chadored woman walked a step behind her man, or kept a respectful distance to his side. Holding hands was out of the question. Nowadays, no one minds looking romantic.

When I shared these observation with Ali, a teacher who attended college in the early 1990s, his eyes brightened with a cheerful light. He told me, "When I was in my sophomore year, I was summoned to the college disciplinary committee because I had gone hiking with a mixed group of my male and female classmates. But now schools have hiking clubs where mixed groups go hiking together without being molested by authorities." We were sitting in a coffee shop in downtown Tehran sipping tea and coffee. The tables around us were taken by young couples, students, men employed in nearby shops and offices. They talked and socialized. A couple of tables away, a group of four boys and two girls discussed how useless their school workshop on industrial design was. Ali became nostalgic. With a sigh, he continued: "Look at them -- in my days in school, I dreamt of going out with my classmates like this and being carefree like these guys. When the authorities harassed us in those days, they denied us our youth and its innocent experience. They made a sin out of everything we did. They took away our innocence."

He was right. As I looked around, I imagined how easily this innocent socializing could be made illegal. Gone would be the laughter, the whispers, the feeling secure in the presence of someone of the opposite sex, the natural thought of them as a friend, a colleague, a companion. Indeed, Ali's experience is widely shared. Many of those born in the 1970s still recall how people were prosecuted for just walking with a date, or socializing with a mixed group of friends. For them, having a cup of decent coffee in a café with the boys and girls from their class was an unobtainable dream. Today it is a social norm, widely accepted and perhaps appreciated most by those denied it in their own youth.

Many believe that the suspension of morality patrols last year was due to the political uproar around the election and the unrest that followed. The Ahmadinejad government lacked the resources to enforce the morality code and keep the streets quiet. The regime was also perhaps willing to bribe the people with a little bit of social freedom. Some suggest that the plans to resume enforcement demonstrate the government's belief that it is time to show the people which side emerged victorious from the recent conflict. In this light, the efforts are revealed a show of strength, rather than a campaign motivated by any actual concern for morality.

Still, it seems that many voices are cautioning the government and that some officials are listening. The recent demonstration of ultraradicals asking for the return of morality patrols was held in a remote part of Tehran and received only brief coverage of the most pro forma sort in the official media. Some authorities might want to show their muscles in the streets of Iran's cities, but some others remember the muscle people showed them a year ago. They may still try to strip the innocence out of daily social life, but now it does not look so easy as before.

Archive photo.

Copyright © 2010 Tehran Bureau

SHAREtwitterfacebookSTUMBLEUPONbalatarin reddit digg del.icio.us

It is amazing. In the 21st century Iranians can not even express their God given rights. The ability to love openly and to persue happiness are amongst the most basic fundamentals of human rights. These Barbarians are intenet to destroy everything beautiful about being Persian.Is this Persia or Arabia? Do we not have any MEN left in this country with an ounce of courage to stop this Barbaric garbage?

Niloofar / May 2, 2010 7:08 PM

Niloofar, I agree with the first part of your comment. But what's this with "do we have any MEN left"?

That implies that:

1) Thousands of men have not been arrested, beaten, and imprisoned by this regime.

2) Women need men to fight for them. Iranian women have played their part in the Green Movement and I fully expect that they will be role models for the next gerenation of Iranian feminists.

استقلال، آزادی، عدالت اجتماعی

Bahman / May 2, 2010 10:52 PM

Niloofar,

Why don't you go back to "Persia" and show all these cowardly men what bravery means?

Or are you under the impression that bravery means posting your jibberish comments full of typos on TB?

On second thought, read an article or two published since June of '09 and maybe you will realize that many MEN and WOMEN have given their lives with more courage than it takes for you to spam the comments section of TB.

Nona / May 2, 2010 11:21 PM

Nano,

Sorry about the typos. I was not paying attention.
Ladies and Gentlemen, please accept the following corrections: pursue for persue and intent for intenet.

I hope you are happy now.

Dear Nano, if thousands upon thousands had given their lives to protect their women, Persia would not be the Arabia of today governed by the primitive shari'a law.If thousands upon thousands cared, thousands upon thousands would not go back to Iran every summer to satisfy their needs. If thousands upon thousands cared, our sisters would not be sold off across Iran's borders. Should I go on?
Excuse me a second, allow me to check for possible typos. No, I think I am o.k.

Congratulations Nano, U.N. Elected Iran to Commission on Women's Rights. Now isn't that a dandy? Iranian men can put on their skirts. Perhaps they get to enjoy some of the same 'Rights'.

Bahman,

"I fully expect that they will be role models for the next gerenation of Iranian feminists."

I hope so.

Niloofar / May 3, 2010 1:15 AM

Did someone say "God given right?"

Lets bring back Khomeini, if we are going to get God involved with human rights.

Anonymous / May 3, 2010 2:29 AM

Dear Mademoiselle Niloofar,

In response to your questions at 7:08PM, 02/05/2010, the following:

1. Yes, this is Arabia now, no longer Persia.

2. Yes, there are no MEN left, only boys. However, since Arab boys are better than Persian MEN, many of us are very happy with the trade-off.

Now that these burning issues are resolved, will you please make yourself fully at home in your new American homeland with all of its reputed advantages, and leave us newly-minted Arab boys alone?

Thanks in advance.

Ali from Tehran / May 3, 2010 3:00 AM

Ali from Tehran, Niloofar,

I can't post any more messages in this vain. Please stay on topic.

moderator / May 3, 2010 3:18 AM

"God gave us death and the swords of religion. PLEASE keep it out the discussions." - Anonymous

Are you sure it was God, not HUMANS?

Jeb / May 3, 2010 4:36 AM

just returned from Iran and happy to let you know that there is still a Persia in that part of the world, and though the cover of religion is used to oppress people, women in particular remain defiant and amazingly ,not only do not need protection but showing a great deal of leadership behind the scenes.we shall overcome this as well,hopefully soon.

parviz / May 3, 2010 6:32 AM

Interesting!!!.
I am just curious as to why some instead of a constructive counter argument seem to enjoy pointing out to other's mistakes , misunderstandings and in nutshell "different way of looking at the world". Why schadenfreude! why not tolerance, no matter how different the next guy thinks that i do?

Why Nilofar should not be free to say whatever she wants no matter how silly some might think she is. I don't think she is silly nor i agree with her sharp comments about the lack of "Men" who ... do this and do that to free Iran. Yet, i think her opinion is worth thinking about and analyzing as to why she might think so, rather than attacking her. Why not asking her to explain her ideas rather than condemning her and basically wanting her to keep her ideas for herself. She is just like any body else entitled to her way of thinking no matter how much you disagree.

You can see how bitter and painful it is to read what the hassle the Iranian young generation has to put up just to have a a moment of privacy to chat with a BG or GF at some park without bothering any body.So, please,DON'T be the very thing that you disdain, don't become a Moral Police on TB.

Bitterness kils friendship.

persianTraveler / May 3, 2010 1:15 PM

"One of the greatest advantages of living in U.S. is that the men here are raised to protect their women."

hahahahahaha

If anything, Iranians are known for their "gheyrat", which is probably the problem anyway!!

Madali / May 3, 2010 3:00 PM

Parviz:

Only the Iranian Diaspora calls itself Persian. To call yourself Persian and asssume Persian is synonymous with Iranian is ethnically racist. Persians are about half of Iran, ethnically. What about the Kurds, Azaris, Turks, Loris, Balochis, what are they? Because they are not Persian are they not Iranian? Iranian is an inclusive title while Persia is an exclusive title that has historically been pushed on us by foreigners. Afterall, it was Reza Shah himself that demanded foreigners call us Iranians, not Persians.

Persian Traveler:

The freedom to express yourself does not exempt you from criticism. I respect Niloofar's right to express her opinions but she also has the right to have her opinions questioned, as do I.

And I agree with you, my criticism was not constructive. But I've had too many family members imprisoned by this regime, and the Shah's regime, to allow anyone to question their bravery without a response. They chose to stay and fight and they paid the price and they are still paying the price, while the rest of us fled. Please tell me, who are the cowards? The ones that stayed and fought, or the ones that fled? I want the best for my family back home, but I don't dare question their bravery, or lack of it. I don't dare call on them to sacrifice their lives while I sit in my comfortable home in America. And Niloofar is not alone in this type of behavior. Many monarchists and Mek are notorious for calling on others to give their lives while living a life of luxury in America and Europe. Is this right?

Nona / May 3, 2010 9:50 PM

NO NO NO...The morality police is really there to prevent an earthquake caused by poor Hijab. In fact Tehran U gave all student Bassijis PhDs in Islamic Seismology.

The "morality police" is now called the Earthquake Prevention Task Force.

@Niloofar,
You are right. There are no REAL MEN left in "Persia". You are going to have go there and fight these "Barbarians" (is that your code for Arabs?) yourself. It's easy to get to Persia. You go past the Roman empire, make a right on Bysantine, left on Babylon. If you reach Bokhara you went too far. You would have to turn around.

And Thank you for your bravery! We will be here cheering you on.

Ahvaz / May 3, 2010 11:23 PM

Right on! Ahvaz
I loved it

persianTraveler / May 4, 2010 1:03 AM

Ahvaz,

Thank you for proving my point for the world to see. You are hell of a man.
"Barbarians" (is that your code for Arabs?)

Arabs didn't murder my father.

Nona,

I had no idea you know all about me. Introduction, main topic and conclusion all in one paragraph. You are absolutely fascinating.

"But I've had too many family members imprisoned by this regime, and the Shah's regime, to allow anyone to question their bravery without a response." Join the crowd. You got nothing over me. NOTHING.

But why is it that we almost always have to include the Shah in every other sentence? And it is always only the Monarchists and MEK that are responsible for everything. How convenient. How standard procedure. You are a little too late though. Last week I was a Zionist.

That is right, I am a Persian and proud. Don't you ever forget it.

Niloofar / May 4, 2010 6:11 AM

@Niloufar,

I am sorry to hear what happened to your father. I share some of your pain and anger as I also lost close relatives to this regime.
Atrocities committed by them are countless and victims aplenty.

But, as long as you continue making baseless statements and needlessly inflammatory chert-o-pert remarks, as you often like to do, expect someone to call you on them, or at least poke some fun at them.

Ahvaz / May 4, 2010 11:32 AM

Niloofar, where is persia? do you mean that mythical civilization described by the greeks--persia is a greek word after all. Or, do you mean pars province? Seeing as only 51% of the people of Iran are "persian," I'm not too sure what you are trying to imply. But I guess the anti arab rehtoric gives me a bit of a clue.

Notions of racial superiority have no place in a green Iran.

Ali / May 5, 2010 11:58 PM

moderator, can you not post my last comment?

Ali / May 6, 2010 12:33 AM

first my English is not good, sorry if you read some poor English:
all these free social things about Romance or .... you talk about is bulshit in Iran.
why?
in reality there is not any safe environment for women in Iran at all.
i mean how about all this,MATALK or harassing women in the street by men
even you can not touch a woman at all
but look here man, go on street and see how these men treat women
there is not really a safe environment for women at all.
i think it take 100 years Iranian men learn how to respect a woman or not harassing her in public.
by the way guys ,do not fight about "Persian or Iranian".it is all the same
i am a Lor and love all my people who lives in Iran from the west east south and north. ,even Arabs who defended Iran during the war in the south. I love all .
so please do not listen to this Bulshits
we are all Iranian or if others call us Persian ,there is nothing wrong with that
parvaz. iran . loristan.

parvaz / May 7, 2010 2:43 AM

@Ali,

Where did you go to school at? Shame on you unless you are a Hezbollahi and I smell a few on this site.

@Ahvaz,

Who made you the chief justice on this site? I have read a lot of chertopert from you too. What did Niloofar say that does not sink in on your part? The fact that Iran is run by a primitive law called shari'a? The fact that our women are sold off in Arab countries or are willingly to sell themselves to make ends meet in an ever increasingly impoverished society? If "Sigheh" is not religious prostitution then what is it? The fact that Iranian men go back to take advantage of this state of misery? Only to come back and brag about it? Yes, look at it from a woman's point of view. If we only excersized a little more pride as men. Your attempt to cover up the truth by labeling her was cheap.

@Nona,

Ethnicity was not an issue in Iran until mullahs took over our country. This is a clear attempt to divide and conquer. Don't fall for this foolishness and on a separate issue before criticizing others please check your own grammar. It is not "so I do" but 'so do I'. While you preach others about thousands of brave souls, please don't forget the millions of not so brave or our country would not be in this sewer.

@Niloofar,

I am very sorry to read about your father. I would be angry too. Hang in there. There are a few good men out there. Many within the ranks of Sepah are good human beings just trying to survive. Take my word, the barbaric establishment as you call it is falling apart from within. Your chance for justice will come sooner than you think.

@Parvaz,

Women were doing just fine in Iran prior to this miserable revolution and it had not taken a hundred years, but a few years of social education. Those women are the mothers of today whose daughters refuse to give in to a primitive religious order forced upon them by a backward few.

Anonymous / May 8, 2010 11:48 AM

I did not mean to post Anonymous.

Kamran / May 8, 2010 11:51 AM

Dear Kamran,

Where did I go to school "at"? What is "at" doing at the end of your sentence?

And is it "excercised" or 'exercised'?

Mademoiselle Niloofar said her father "was not murdered by Arabs." What does that mean? Was he murdered at all? If yes, by whom, why and under what circumstances?

Please enlighten the 'smelly backward few.'

Ali from Tehran / May 9, 2010 1:13 AM

Kamran:

I never wrote "so I do," I wrote "as do I." If you are going to correct someone's typos make sure to learn how to read first.

And ethnicity has always been issue in Iran. Why don't you read about Azari and Kurdish struggles for God's sake? Are you aware that Iran had any problems before the 79 or are you one of those willfully ignorant people who pretends it was rainbows and sunshines under the monarchy?

Also, put your money where your mouth is and go back to Iran to show them the difference between bravery and cowardice. I will personally buy you and Niloofar tickets.

And Iran is not a sewer, it is a beautiful country with beautiful people, no matter who rules it. Do you hate your Iranian idendity that much that you have to curse an entire country?

Nona / May 9, 2010 2:08 AM

Can all of you stop your bickering? You're missing the whole point and are being extremely counter-productive. This regime is geared towards screwing up its youth so much so that they are left confused and hopeless. It is only then that they go in and try to brainwash.
I have a friend in Iran to whom this happened. When i last saw him (10 yrs ago) he was a polite, respectful, and very smart young man. When i saw him again 2 yrs ago, he had become totally twisted and extremely disrespectable towards woman down the street (rolling down car windows to make cat calls and treat them like prostitutes).

This is the legacy of the IR, making animals out of the future of our country.

DC / May 9, 2010 3:45 AM

@Kamran

Thank you Kamran for your response. I never considered myself the "chief justice" of anything. Far from it. I merely said that if someone likes to make needlessly inflammatory and baseless chert-o-pert statements, they should expect to be called on it.

So, I am calling you on YOUR needlessly inflammatory chert-o-pert baseless remarks. (And please feel free to call me on mine wherever you see them -- without putting words in my mouth as you did in your earlier post please):

Chert-o-pert 1: You said "Ethnicity was not an issue in Iran until mullahs took over our country"???? Are you kidding? Please read your history. Dont have a history book? No worries. You dont have to go farther than the whole Arab vs Persian comments by a certain someone above. Or next time you see a Kurd, Arab or Baluch, make sure you ask them how they feel about your statement.

chert-o-pert 2: "Women were doing just fine in Iran prior to this miserable revolution"???? They were? Granted they were much better off then than now. But "they were doing fine?" Ask a woman from that generation and see how well women were treated by their husbands and fathers. give me a break. Only MEN thought it was "fine".

chert-o-pert 3: "our country would not be in this sewer". A sewer? We have Sohrabs and Nedas resting there. please show more sensitivity, and a little Gheirat(patriotism).

Ahvaz / May 9, 2010 7:13 AM

Dear Nona,

You may have to buy only a single ticket for Niloofar and Kamran because they are almost certainly the same person.

I was intrigued by Kamran's post above, where he laments the killing of Niloofar's father and consoles her by saying that "the barbaric establishment as you [Niloofar] call it is falling apart from within."

Niloofar does use the words "barbaric," and "barbarian" in this thread, but never employs the highly idiosyncratic term "barbaric establishment." So why does Kamran mistakenly attribute this usage to Niloofar?

A search of TehranBureau's archives shows that this peculiar phrase indeed appeared once before, SEVENTY DAYS AGO (!!!), in the following context:

"The whole world is looking at oppression, fraud, murder, torture, rape ....... and a barbaric establishment ..."

Niloofar [February 24, 2010 @ 4:08 PM, TB Article: "The Specter Haunting Iran"]

Kamran's post above shares more unique thematic DNA with Niloofar's previous effusions on TB, but I think a couple of examples will suffice:

1. Compare Niloofar's "the Islamist few" [March 26, 2010 @ 8:49 PM, TB Article: "A Step Too Far"] with Kamran's "a backward few".

2. Compare Niloofar's "[w]hat high school did you graduate from?" [April 9, 2010 @ 7:49 AM, TB Article: "Martyrs of the Green Movement"] with Kamran's "[w]here did you go to school at?".

3. Compare Niloofar's "the Islamic Republic and its leadership past and present belong in the sewer of history" [February 8, 2010 @ 4:12 AM, TB Article: "10 Days that changed Iran"] with Kamran's "or our country would not be in this sewer."

Niloofar first elicits sympathy by obliquely claiming a murdered father, then invents 'Kamran' to commiserate with her on that loss and challenge her detractors.

Rigging of threads with multiple aliases is typical of monarchists, for they know that their rosy picture of pre-revolutionary Iran is not naturally predominant.

Ali from Tehran / May 9, 2010 7:12 PM

Kamran, you are correct.It is quite clear to all of us there are a lot of Hezbollahies here.Who else would deny his/her own country? Only 'The smelly backward Islamist few.'

Nano, the period of monarchy even in its darkest days was a thousand times better than what is forced upon us Iranians today.People are not blind or simple minded. Read " Azari and Kurdish struggles " by whom? The Islamic Republic Publications?Show me a place in the world where people have not faced social challenges.Iran was not an exception either.I am 63 years old and I have experienced a lot in my life.My mother was a Kurd and my father an Azari.Surprise me.Tell me something new.Tell me something the proud Azaries have not lived and felt deep down inside personally.I quote Kamran,"please don't forget the millions of not so brave or our country would not be in this sewer."Where does Kamran say Iran is a sewer?He says Iran is in the sewer (of the Islamic Republic).Learn to read and by the way,he is absolutely correct and I thank him for his honesty.

Reza Malek / May 9, 2010 9:26 PM

"moderator, can you not post my last comment?
Ali / May 6, 2010 12:33 AM"

Isn't that you Ali?Why did you hide your identity?Why did you ask the moderator not to post your dumb comment?Niloofar is right.You are a phony.Don't you realize what you have done?Who else would try to check people out word for word but a jobless basigi hezbollahi... with nothing better to do.Checking people out ,making comments about people 24/7 and particularly if they’re against the Islamic Republic. I find the likes of you very irritating.

Sharareh / May 10, 2010 8:07 PM

DC,
I am with you regarding the rampant disrespect of women in Iran in forms of matalak, harrassment, etc. I am sure the IR has contributed greatly to it by its official policy of sex discrimination and an unnatural, unrealistic, misguided separation of sexes in schools and society. The latter has done more damage, I think.
ALSO. Some may call it bickering. Others call it exchange of ideas. Believe it or not, this back and forth happens in every forum, and it is far more vicious and disrespectful on comment sections of youtube, yahoo news, sports section etc.
Hopefully we are here to exchange ideas and may be learn some thing from it.

@Ali from Tehran

Interesting observation. It may be a coincidence. Likely it is. But if not...man, that's a new low even for a self-righteous hot air. Especially after all the accusations of "lack of courage" and "cowardice" in Iran.

Ahvaz / May 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Dear Ahvaz,

I try to be careful in making such allegations.

And if my analysis is correct, Niloofar is not the only person aliasing herself on this forum.

A couple of weeks ago, I tracked three pseudonyms to the same poster. You can check out my posts [24/04/2010 @ 1:39 AM] and [25/05/2010 @ 10:52 AM] on the TB article, "April 19, 1975."

We all have idiosyncracies in our writing; a distinctive style that includes pet phrases, favorite idioms, recurring themes and associations, peculiar ways of spelling proper names, ingrained habits in grammar and syntax, and even characteristic put-downs.

A few similarities may be a coincidence, but several may persuade even the most hardened skeptics.

True, patterns on the same or concurrent threads can be due to posters being influenced by other comments they have freshly read. But such 'stylistic templating' is improbable when posts are separated by several weeks.

Niloofar has posted copiously on this forum for many months, offering enough material to sift through to solidly identify patterns.

So it is not hard to check whether quirky newcomers popping out of nowhere to back her up are genuine or not.

Apart from the evidence I compiled, do observe that she goes AWOL when the newcomer picks up the fight where she left off, channeling her outrage.

Ali from Tehran / May 11, 2010 4:30 AM

Its amusing how some people find any excuses they can find to belittle present Iran.

"Matelaq" exists in every country.

Look at Parvaz' post, typical inferior complexity that certain Iranians have, somehow imagining anything white-related is great:

"some one told me that in USA or Canada no one dear to follow a woman or bother a woman
even you can not touch a woman at all
but look here man, go on street and see how these men treat women
there is not really a safe environment for women at all."

No one follows a woman in the west?

If anything, Iran is much safer than the west, because guys are concerned if they cross the line. All it would take is for the girl to shout that she is being harrassed and the next thing you know, ten Iranian guys suddenly realize they have gheirat and surround the guy, and if there is a police available, then the more of a hassle for the guy.

That is why most matelaks are generally from the car. And even that a lot of guys are concerned, generally what they do is stop their cars several feets infront of the girls, and see if they "pah midan".

And frankly, Iran's female situation was actually worst before the revolution. Aside from certain groups in Tehran, most Iranians in small cities and villages were trapped in a strongly conservative circle.

The post-revolutionaly Iranian women are now much more proactive. Their active participation in the education field & workforce is high, not by Iran standards or region standards, but probably world standards.

Madali / May 11, 2010 9:29 AM

Ha! I missed this one. Ali from Omaha getting CRUSHED once again. This is hilarious! What are you retracting Little Ali Joon? Are you doing your Sherlock Holmes imitation again and trying "identify" anonymous bloggers? Didn't the moderator tell you to shutup, like a mother would to an impish child? This is HILARIOUS. Please, Ali from Omaha, continue on. You can't seem to buy a friend! Why? Because reasonable people smell arrogance, naivete, and nonsense a mile away. Ahahahaha. This is making my day. As I told you Ali Joon, I'm tired of eviscerating every point you try to make, so I'm going to take it easy on you my little Islamist wannabe. Looks like everyone else is doing a tidy job without me...

np / May 14, 2010 12:22 AM

Iran is mostly Persian, both culturally and in terms of population.
persians are 65% of the population including sub-groups. Most people no
matter what background they're from consider theirselves Persian,
practice Persian culture, traditions, customs ( nowruz as an example),
have Persian names, eat persian food etc... and most important thing is
that they consider theirselves Persian/Iranian. Even the people are mainly Iranic/Persian blooded.

Another example, the azeris themselves are Persian blooded people
mainly of tat Persian background, not turkic, hence why they don't look
aisatic, which is the true TOOrkish race. Even the name azeri is
persian for fire and azerbeyjan for the land of fire in Persian.

Saman / May 14, 2010 5:48 AM

Madali,

I agree with you if any one dares to say or touches or even look a wrong way to any female in west their behinds will sit in jail for long time.

the unjust treatments towards females is un bearable and un fair.

another words it sucks

not fair / May 20, 2010 12:49 AM

Niloofar,

fanaticism and fanatic religious laws in any religion will do that.

if a female is not equal to the man in a religion then that religion is worthless.

as simple as that