tehranbureau An independent source of news on Iran and the Iranian diaspora
nextback

Extra: Ali Reza Pahlavi, Shah's Younger Son, Takes His Own Life

04 Jan 2011 23:35134 Comments
AliRezaPahlavi.jpg

Ali Reza Pahlavi, the second son and third child of the late Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and Shahbanu Farah (Diba) Pahlavi, committed suicide early Tuesday morning. Pahlavi, age 44, was a resident of Boston's South End neighborhood. According to a Boston Police Department spokeswoman, police officers responded to a call at 2:11 a.m. in the 100 block of West Newton Street, where his three-level row house is located. Pahlavi was found dead of an apparent "self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Pahlavi, born in Tehran, left Iran with his family in 1979 when the Shah was deposed. They were residing in Cairo when his father died in July 1980. In 1982, the 16-year-old Pahlavi moved with his mother and two sisters from Egypt to the United States. He received a B.A. in music from Princeton University in 1988 and, in 1992, an M.A. in Middle Eastern languages and cultures from the Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. According to an online registry of Harvard University alumni, he was scheduled to receive a Ph.D. in 2008 from Harvard's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, where he studied at the Department of Near Eastern Language and Civilizations (the online registry was not updated to reflect that he never finished his doctoral work there).

Pahlavi was never married. He is survived by his mother; his brother, Reza; his sister, Farahnaz; and his half-sister, Shahnaz, from his father's first marriage. His younger sister, Leila, died of an apparently self-induced barbiturate overdose in 2001. -- Eds.

***

With Immense Grief That We Would Like to Inform Our Compatriots of the Passing Away of Prince Alireza Pahlavi

RezaPahlavi.org | Jan 4

It is with immense grief that we would like to inform our compatriots of the passing away of Prince Alireza Pahlavi.

Although he struggled for years to overcome his sorrow, he finally succumbed, and during the night of the 4th of January 2011, in his Boston residence, took his own life, plunging his family and friends into great sorrow.

Once again, we are joined with mothers, father and relatives of so many victims of these dark times for our country.

[Signed:] Reza Pahlavi, Farah Pahlavi, Farahnaz Pahlavi, Yasmine Pahlavi, Noor Pahlavi, Iman Pahlavi and Farah Pahlavi

SHAREtwitterfacebookSTUMBLEUPONbalatarin reddit digg del.icio.us

It's very sad to see what this family has had to go through these last thirty years, while the son's of the mullahs jet set around the world to places like London, Dubai and Toronto and spend our nation's oil money.

To imagine a man like Ali Reza, whose father and grandfather advanced Iran in just fifty years from a country where donkeys filled the streets of the capital to one with the fastest growing economy in Asia, has to live a life in exile speaks a lot about how ungrateful we Iranians are.

Rest in peace Ali Reza.

Just another Iranian / January 5, 2011 12:23 AM

Please accept my deepest sympathy.
So so very sad for all of the family and friends.
I love Persia and the Persians ... but not the present set up.

Angela Pryce Hemmings / January 5, 2011 12:39 AM

Thank you for the corrections, Behzad and Tissa.

moderator / January 5, 2011 12:58 AM

My Sympathy to his Family. we miss you Ali Reza what a trouble tragedy. :(

azi / January 5, 2011 1:10 AM

A's an innocent bystander but deeply troubled followernof iranian politics the death of the Prince touches me deeply.
As we say in my corner of this small planet: HIL ODIN!

Peter madsen / January 5, 2011 1:12 AM

Hypocrisy…What is the difference between Shah, and the Mullahs?

Where do you think Shah, and his family got all their money? If he had done a decent job educating the nation instead of filling his and his inner circle's pocket with nation's money, he probably still be the king....

Reza / January 5, 2011 1:16 AM

many would think why those people committed suicide when they have the money , the social position , the connections etc... this is the prove that the Pahlavi's are the real rulers of a country that they worshiped more than all those shining appearances !! why they died ?? because they reached a point where they felt useless to their country and the persians , they r watching every day their country regressing and going back to the age of caves ...I don't want to think what the empress is going thru... She lost her husband then her country and her people then her daughter and now her youngest boy..may his soul rest in peace and God helps this country and his people to survive this era of darkness...

a lebanese woman

Anonymous / January 5, 2011 1:17 AM

With deepest sadness and sympathy for the Pahlavi Family and our Iran. May we find justice against the terrorist mullah regime soon.

Shahin Khourdepaz / January 5, 2011 1:18 AM

a simple lebanese woman

lama lawand / January 5, 2011 1:20 AM

Our deepest candolances to Ali Razas family.
Inspite of all nobility God had bestowed upon this young prince, this sad demise is shocking to all.
May his soul rest in peace with his beloved Dad
in Heavens.

sha / January 5, 2011 1:20 AM

How very very sad. Thanks for making the correction regarding Leila.

Iranian / January 5, 2011 1:21 AM

Thanks for being unbiased...

Reza / January 5, 2011 1:21 AM

I am so sorry for your great loss. I, too, have experienced such a loss.

Liz / January 5, 2011 1:23 AM

Oh, I am so so sad about this.

Susan Abraham / January 5, 2011 1:24 AM

Khoda rahmat kone

12th Imam / January 5, 2011 1:24 AM

sad

Anonymous / January 5, 2011 1:27 AM

Your Majesties Oliahazrat and Alahazrat Reza Shah II . Please accept my deepest sympathy. This is one of the saddest day of my life. Regards Abby Rashedi

Abby / January 5, 2011 1:29 AM

This is of course very sad to hear about anyone, and I am sorry to hear it about a Harvard Phd candidate with so much charm and potential.

Nonetheless, I see some who take this opportunity to rewrite history about his father's contributions to Iran. Yes, Iran was freer than it was today. But like it or hate it, Shah was a monarch no more democratically elected than Khamenei, and as long as we glorify that kind of a structure, we are not going to have a political system that responds to the needs of as many Iranians as possible.

Sam Sedaei / January 5, 2011 1:30 AM

I am very sad to hear this news, no Iranian living in the free world should pass this way. I have never met the price, but as a news and political junkie, I
am familiar with the family history. May god bless his soul and may he rest in peace. Dreams of a future Iran with Democracy and Peace has faded some more today with this news. My deepest sympathy goes out to the family and all Iranians on this day of grief and loss.
Sincerely,
Franklin
NYC
USA

fnyack / January 5, 2011 1:41 AM

Very sad. Inna lillahi wa inna illayhi raj'oon. From God we come and to God we return. My heart and prayers go out to his family who must cope with two suicides in their family. I hope that his surviving brothers and sisters will seek out help at the first sign of depression. These things can have a genetic component. Peace.

Karla / January 5, 2011 1:46 AM

Dear Angela Pryce Hemmings where the hell is Persia?

Jafar / January 5, 2011 1:47 AM

Always sad when someone takes their own life. He must have been a tormented soul. However, please stop this non-sense about his father the Shah He was a dictator, just like the mullah dictators in Iran today. He lined his pockets, and those of those who were close to him.

When I think of a young person like Alireza, I ask myself that if he had God in his life he would not have done this.

The Mullahs of Iran are bad people as are the religious fanatics, and so are the God-less sons of daughters of Iran that have chosen to worship material wealth than the real God ALmighty.

Ali / January 5, 2011 1:50 AM

My deepest sympathy for my dear Shahbanou, and the Royal family. May god give us all patience, and tolerance, especially to the Royal family for our beloved Alireza e aziz.

michelle aryana / January 5, 2011 1:57 AM

This is a sad moment. Regardless of how we feel about monarchy and the Pahlavi dynasty, we must remember that the Shah's children had no role in his deed, good or bad. A human being has taken his life, most likely under unbrearable conditions. Most importantly, when someone passes away, we should pray for him/her.

So, let us not use the moment to settle old issues and scores, attack this or that. Let us just pray that Mr. Pahlavi's soul will be in peace and when he stands in front of God, He will bless his soul and forgive whatever sin he may have committed.

Muhammad Sahimi / January 5, 2011 1:58 AM

Sorry to hear that. I just do not think it is fair for some to attack him just because of association. Just wondering what KayhanNews or Pirouz have to add.

May His Soul Rest In Peace.

Agnostic / January 5, 2011 1:59 AM

I am deeply saddened by this tragedy, for this family who lost not one but four of its members in sadness, Reza Shah the Great, M. R. Shah, the innocent Princess Leila, and now the innocent Prince Alireza.

My deepest condolences particularly to Shahbanu Farah, Prince Reza Pahlavi, and Princess Farahnaz.

I take the liberty of paraphrasing a companion of Reza Shah in exile. He says that he got to really know Reza Shah in exile where he never talked about the crown that he had lost, he never talked about the assets that he had left behind, but he always talked about Iran and concerned about what would happen to her. It appears that this family's patriotism is also in sharing sorrows of so many of iranian families who have been victims of IRI in the past decades.

May he rest in peace. May God give tolerance and patience to Shahbanu Farah in particular, as well all other iranian mothers who have lost their sons and daughters in unfortunate circumstances.

Shams / January 5, 2011 2:10 AM

That's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for this family's losses.

Anonymous2 / January 5, 2011 2:23 AM

I just can't believe this ???
My Condolences to : H.M Queen Farah and Prince Reza Pahlavi.

Joseph Louei / January 5, 2011 2:32 AM

The criminal Khomeiny's regime continues to arm.
My deepest condolences to His Majesty Reza Shah II and Shahbanu Farah Pahlavi

Nuno C-B
Portugal

Nuno Castelo-Branco / January 5, 2011 2:33 AM

I am so sorry to hear this sad news! That is heartbreaking! my deepest symapathy to the Royal familie.
May he rest in peace.

Shirin.S / January 5, 2011 2:40 AM

Peace for him. Peace for Queen Farah and all the family!
Peace on Persia!
I wish that one day peace and love would be in this world!
Farah we all are crayiing with you tonight.
Specialy me from les montagnes Bernoise.
Regrets sincères

Liz / January 5, 2011 2:42 AM

This is hardly news, the son of somebody who used to be in power, and has achieved nothing by their own merit is nobody.

Unless you buy into the medieval ideology that royal families are destined by God to receive certain praise because of their bloodline.

People here criticize "the mullahs" but in fact they just pick and choose the dictators they praise and criticize. Completely inconsistent.

Davood / January 5, 2011 2:43 AM

Whatever the sins of the Shah, we traded one despot, however enlightened, for another far more radical and entrenched in its archaic beliefs.
At 42, 32 years we left Iran, I yet have to come to terms with how much that has affected me. On June 12th, 2009, like so many of my generation I was electrified with the prospect of change, even if it seemed to stem by ways of selection. Like all of us in the diaspora, I agonized, night and day, helplessly tweeting and demonstrating while my own were murdered in the streets of Iran -- while the world stood idly by.
In all these years, and all that has happened, I cannot begin to imagine though the extent of the loss, the grief and the rage that the Pahlavi's have had to endure silently.
If there is one thing I have learned since that cold December morning when we got on the last flight out of Tehran, if there is one thing that I know since I turned Green, the Clerics are still in power and the Pahlavi's were the royals; they are all part of my heritage just as the Ghajars before them and Kourosh the Great who started it all.
Today, I lost a piece of my heritage to the tremendous burden of his own grief and I ache for the young boy who lost his home, his country, his father, his sister, never to find his place in the world again -- I share in his pain.

cypegz / January 5, 2011 2:51 AM

Very sad news. God bless him. Roohash shad!

Farhad / January 5, 2011 2:57 AM

May his soul rest in peace! Iran could not become Taliban by its backward culture and tribalism because Pahlavis tried to drag in Iran out of swamp by military boots, but there is so much one can drag on his shoulder, the Iranian people should be prepared for progress...They were not prepared so they took the photo of khomeiny and worshiped him!!!!! and they tore down the photos of shah in two pieces!!! I never trust masses!

Tara / January 5, 2011 2:58 AM

My deepest sympathy to his family and all those who loved him. Khoda rahmatesh kone.

Cristina A. / January 5, 2011 3:02 AM

my deepest condolences to you and your mournful mother and family.
please accept my sympathy.

Vida / January 5, 2011 3:04 AM

No matter where you stand, it's sad...because at least back then, Iranians had more freedom than they have now...we are the only country in the world that has gone backwards in time-and this is sad-because it represents one of many many Iranians that can not get over what has happened to our country....

Bahar / January 5, 2011 3:07 AM

As an Iranian Jew, and someone who actually sat in classes with Alireza in 1989 (Columbia College), I would like to send my condolences to Alireza's family. What a loss to the world.

Jackie / January 5, 2011 3:08 AM

Cristina A. / January 5, 2011 3:09 AM

One day there will be a new era with respect from every nation in the world. Khoda rahmate Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shahbanu Farah Pahlavi, va Ali Reza joon. One day

Anonymous / January 5, 2011 3:15 AM

That was such heatbreaking news. We just cann't believe this.
Our deepest condolences to Queen Farah and Prince Reza Pahlavi. We all are crying with u in this sorrow.
May he rest in peace.

Pirooz and Hashemi family

Mahvash Pirooz / January 5, 2011 3:34 AM

Indeed a very sad news. Another innocent person took his own life because of circumstances he couldn't change or couldn't change on his own. I am about the same age as Alireza Pahlavi and had to leave Iran when I was a teenager and I know the desparation that sweeps over ones who have lost their country and the "normality" of their lives to turmoil. I mourn for Alireza, Leila and all who are gone prematurely and our country. May peace return.

VL / January 5, 2011 3:47 AM

My deepest condolence to Royal family, may God bless his soul, Alireza was an Iranain child, He belong to wasted generation,as we all belong to Wasted generation.(nasl sookhteh).He was a victim .

mitra.j / January 5, 2011 3:52 AM

Very sad news, may he rest in peace .

Kamyar / January 5, 2011 3:53 AM

To see a man like Prince Ali-Reza live a life in exile, a man whose father and grandfather advanced Iran in just fifty years from a country where donkeys filled the streets of the capital, and foreign Armies walked the streets, to a country with the 13th largest GDP in the world and one of the largest, best equipped Armed forces in the world, speaks volumes about how ungrateful we Iranians are.

My deepest condolences to the Royal Family.

Amir Khosrow Sheibany / January 5, 2011 3:54 AM

so so sad that someone takes his life at the age he was. it makes us wonder if our wishes are valid for wanting to be a prince or princess. they sure experience more sorrows than happiness.

vida / January 5, 2011 4:21 AM

My deepest condolences to the Pahlavi family.

Mahmoud / January 5, 2011 4:27 AM

پیام همدردی
باز هم دیوبادی جانگداز بر خرمن خزان زده ی دودمان ایران خدای پهلوی وزید و جان مام میهن را سوگوار کرد
در سوگ او نمی نشینیم که دشمن کیان ومیهن او را شاد کنیم وانکه با خداوند مهرآفرین ایران چنین می گوییم :
خداوندا به ما اندیشه ای فردهش کن که در سوگ گرامی ترین کس خویش به جای خود آزاری و خود شکنی به جای زنجه و گریه و مویه با آیین بردباری روان انوشه ی او را شاد کنیم .
ما یارن ایران و دودمان فروهندی پهلوی ، گواراترین می ها را با یاد این پیمانه ی پیمای بزم زندگی «شاهزاده ی جوان علیرضا پهلوی» در پیاله می کنیم خود می نوشیم و برای دوستارانش نوشگری می کنیم و به یاد او باده بر خاک می فشانیم ، خاک زرزادی که زری چون او را پروراند و باز چون گنجی در نهان گنجینه ی خویش جای داد
شکیبایی ارزانیتان باد
دانشگاه مهرآفرین

University Of Mehrafarin / January 5, 2011 4:43 AM

Now, he is in front of Allah, like his father...

Erkan / January 5, 2011 5:25 AM

It is with deepest sorrow that I learned of the tragic death of HRH Ali Reza Pahlavi. My thoughts and those of many Iranians are with his mother HIM Shahbanou Farah and the Pahlavi Family. Cyrus Kadivar

CYRUS KADIVAR / January 5, 2011 5:45 AM

with my deepest sorrow and sadness,my prince,your highness, you have left us. You will never be forgotten and i bow to you in respect. my condolences to the royal family especially the queen of iran. The mother of the most intelligent and educated individual i have ever known even as a little prince, i have witnessed how remarkable he was because i had the honor of meeting him in different occasions.

Khosrow Alizadeh / January 5, 2011 6:16 AM

Sincere sympathy to his family, who have sustained such a sad loss.

Larry Mercer / January 5, 2011 6:42 AM

May Alireza rest in peace. My deepest sympathies to the Pahlavi family. Roohesh shad.

Farhad Deebaj / January 5, 2011 6:57 AM

What a big loss, and what a big sorrow for a mom loosing two of her yougest kids. Words cannot describe the sad feelings we all have. Rohash shAd, and I hope Pahlavi's family can find a way to deal with his loss.

Fariba / January 5, 2011 7:08 AM

My deepest sympathy to Pahlavi's family. It is very sad news, give time (time) to heal.

shishi / January 5, 2011 7:30 AM

A tragic loss... I am sad to hear it

winston / January 5, 2011 7:35 AM

tasliat be madar aziz melat iran va man.tasliat be reza pahlavi va khanevade azizi.omidvaram ke gham akhareton bashe va mano dar ghame az dast rafte sharik bedonid rohesh shad zende payandeh IRAN.

ed irani / January 5, 2011 7:40 AM

He was a gentle soul: elegant, intelligent, and soft spoken. Princely smile. Genuine and really likeable. Some get a few bad cards. Alireza got a whole rotten deck of cards. Some envied him, not knowing his pains, his losses, the emptiness after Princess Leyla was no longer. If there is an afterlife, a beautiful and peaceful one, he belongs there. My heart aches for HRH Shahbanu and the rest of the family. Peace.

HOSSEIN SN / January 5, 2011 9:00 AM

As a father of 5 children, my heart aches for your loss. It is with a heavy heart that I pray that God will give you comfort and solice during these incredibly trying and difficult moments.

Regardles of nationalities, religion, political affiliations or beliefs, you are a parent like myself.

You will be in my prayers.We hurt with you.

Louie

louie / January 5, 2011 9:33 AM

Muhammad,

Your comment is very well put. This is not a time to talk about differences, but to feel very sad for the young man and his family.

Eric A. Brill / January 5, 2011 9:38 AM

"Like millions of young Iranians, he too was deeply disturbed by all the ills fallen upon his beloved homeland, as well as carrying the burden of losing a father and a sister in his young life."

May he finally rest in peace after a lifetime of sadness. I wish the Pahlavis strength through this most difficult of times.

Cy / January 5, 2011 10:44 AM

Deepest sympathy to Pahlavi's.
Roohi and Farhang Motlagh.

Farhang Motlagh / January 5, 2011 10:48 AM

ضمن عرض تسلیت خدمت شما و خانواده محترم به مناسبت این حادثه جان گداز برای شما صبر آرزو می‌کنم.

amir / January 5, 2011 11:09 AM

we are very deeply sorry to lose alireza pahlavi

marjan / January 5, 2011 11:43 AM

so sad i dont know what to say, so sad.
my haert aches for HRH Shahbanoo and the rest of the great Phlavis family.
Down with islamic republic of crime in iran.

antonio / January 5, 2011 11:53 AM

According to Boston Police, the shooting death is still under investigation. It looks very suspicious for a second child of Pahlavi to commit suicide. He was a recent Harvard grad. Why would someone with ambition to study for a PhD in Iranian history take his own life when the Islamist regime is close to downfall?

Anonymous / January 5, 2011 11:56 AM

My deep sympathy to Pahlavi Family

F Moodi / January 5, 2011 12:52 PM

May he rest in peace. This is a tragedy irrespective of who his father was. No man or woman should ever feel the need to kill themselves.

Pak / January 5, 2011 1:05 PM

Today we have the outmost respect for his father and his family based on the history of their achievements and our dreaded experience of Islamists in our homeland Iran.We have experienced the past and are experiencing the present.May he rest in peace.We send our heartfelt condolence to the Pahlavi family.

Bijan & Parvaneh / January 5, 2011 4:01 PM

Anon, all shooting deaths require a law enforcement investigation. It's standard procedure.

Pirouz / January 5, 2011 5:12 PM

mara dar gameh khod shareek be daneed.parvardegar sabr va tahamol arzanee bedarad.

mansoureh / January 5, 2011 5:14 PM

It is said that the noble Prophet used to stand up and pay respect when he observed a funeral of a member of a Jewish tribe hostile to Muslims passing by.

Every human life deserves respect, not necessarily because of the person who has it, but in honor of the giver of the life. As far as we know, Ali Reza, was not personally responsible for causing any pain or suffering to the people of Iran and he was still young when his father had to flee Iran. He deserves our prayers, and God is the best judge of his deeds and ours. His family deserves condolences as do any family who suffers such a tragic death.

The wrongful actions of some 'mullahs' and religious extremists in Iran do not justify condemning all. The bad actions of Ali Reza's father does not justify condemning him and all the members of his family. Each of us are individually accountable for our deeds to our Maker, 'mullahs' and 'dictators' too, and to date none, that I know of, has escaped death.

rezvan / January 5, 2011 6:32 PM

Dear Farah Diba Pahlavi and Family with all my respect I am so sorry that you have to go through
these tragedy my deepest sympathy for the all the family my all of us get together in better place

Azadeh / January 5, 2011 7:56 PM

My deepest heart-felt condolences to the family. No mother should bear to lose a child. Also my apologies for heartless remarks by idiots posted on this site.

Ahmad Esmaili / January 5, 2011 8:11 PM

He rests with the God of love,God of happiness and the God of forgiveness.The true God of Iran.

Nader / January 5, 2011 8:56 PM

Iran loves you.Khodavand Poshto Panahe Khanevadeh Shoma.

Rezazadeh family / January 5, 2011 11:05 PM

Cristina A. / January 5, 2011 11:16 PM

Farewell sweet prince......
The last 32 years have been painful for all of us---the last year and half---unbearable.
But the struggle continues and the dream shall never die---and yes, as you wished, we will carry your ashes lovingly back to the Caspien and No-shahr, which was the site of so many happy childhood memories for so many of us, shall be your final resting place.

Setti Anders / January 5, 2011 11:36 PM

Our deepest sympathy to his fmily, a family who has gone through a lot since 1978.
God helps you in this sarrow.

ana azar / January 5, 2011 11:53 PM

We share the Family's grief and loss. God give them Strength.

Johnny Mobasher / January 5, 2011 11:57 PM

On behalf of my family I would like to express our sorrow and offer our condolences to the Pahlavi family and dearest Shahbanoo in particular.Roohash shad.

Morovati / January 6, 2011 1:23 AM

RIP

My condolences to his family.

Ahvaz / January 6, 2011 1:27 AM

I just read this odious quote from Muhammed Sahimi in Time Magazine: "Most Iranians are concerned about Iran. But, almost none commit suicide because of it," he wrote in an email. "This is a just a sheer political attempt to gain sympathy and perhaps support of Iranians inside Iran."

The same Sahimi who told us now is not the time to be attacking the Pahlavis. Mr. Sahimi, you are truly a spiteful, hateful person who deserves to live in the Islamic Republic.

Leila / January 6, 2011 3:29 AM

RIP

My condolences to his family

Steve

Steve / January 6, 2011 4:59 AM

No mother should have to bear the loss of two of her children through suicide. My heart goes to her.

Niki / January 6, 2011 7:36 AM

RIP

Our fathers did his family and our entire country a lot of wrong.

Many of the original architects of the revolution fled and left the mullahs to loot and the people to suffer in Iran.

The story of the so called revolution of 1979 has become a colossal tragedy of unthinkable magnitude that continues to bring sad news to Iranians on a daily basis.

Only if we could turn back time :(

Azadi / January 6, 2011 9:30 AM

so sorry for ur lost. my condolences with his family.

soheila / January 6, 2011 10:14 AM

shahbanooy azize iran omidvaram ghame akharetoon bashad,ma ra dar ghame khod sharik bedaneed va az parvardeghar omre javedaneh baraye shooma va tamamy khandane pahlavi ra khastareem.

shahnam va khanevadeh / January 6, 2011 5:42 PM

bargi az derakhte tanaware khandane pahlavi forou oftad.har irani ghamgin ast,amma derakhte tanaware doudmane PAHLAWI ham chenan ostowar va pa barjast va hichgah khazan nadarad,iranian omid darand saye ye PAHLAWI bar khake iran gostarde shawad.ma iranian ba in omid zendegi mikonim.Amin ya rabalalamin

mj-fallah / January 6, 2011 6:16 PM

Lila,
The truth sometimes hurts...connecting his suicide to anything but his own personal and family issues is only an excuse; and nostalgic comfort to deal with our shortcomings as a people, and a nation. Unfortunately, the existing government in Iran is a reflection of its people, and their culture.

Reza / January 6, 2011 9:01 PM

Leila, Muhammad Sahimi has offered an explanation one can read under Chain murders.You will have to make your own decision on his response.What is witnessed in Iran is representative of Iranian culture claims Reza.As an observer I would like to ask, why do they need to hold people at gun point?Why so many Iranians reside in prisons?Why so much oppression?Why so many executions?The answer is a logical extension of such questions, IT IS NOT.It is quite apparent Iranians suffer from a few pretenders among them whose job is nothing but to mislead the general public.Brush them aside, unite and free yourselves.You have a great history and culture.You are great people.

My condolences to the Iranian people and Pahlavi family.

Anthony Zwiller / January 6, 2011 11:56 PM

Dear Shahbanu please accept my deepest sympathy this is a sad moment. I wish peace for him, for shahbanu and the Royal family. Peace for IRAN.

Aki maafi / January 7, 2011 2:14 AM

My deepest condolences to the family. May god grant you patience during this very difficult time.

Roohesh shad

Hamid / January 7, 2011 3:52 AM

May his soul find peace and love and condolences to his family and all the souls from his homeland. Joyce

JOYCE / January 7, 2011 7:14 AM

shahbanu aziz,my deepest condolences to you and vali ahd.I am so sorry. god give you and your family peace. my heart goes out to you.love

tonya / January 7, 2011 8:09 AM

i feel very very sorry for his loss and my deep condolences for the death at his young age. I also got through this and i know its a heavy blow.
May allah give u patience and bear...
God bless his soul

safina / January 7, 2011 9:42 AM

peace to this family! RIP

Anonymous / January 7, 2011 10:14 AM

Leila:

First, as Sahimi explains in his comment on his article, the complete comment that he had made about the death of MRP had not been reported. Reza Pahlavi said today that his brother killed himself because he was in deep depression. Sahimi says that in his e-mail message he said exactly the same, that AR Pahlavi probably killed himself because he was in deep depression over the death of his sister and his despair for the glory days of his father rule. All of these are accurate, but were not mentioned in that article (read his comment in his article).

Second, why is what he said attacked so much?
He has said most people are concerned about Iran, but most people do not kill themselves over it. Is this not true? He then, in explanation that was not included in the TIME article, expresses his opinion as to why Ali Reza Pahlavi may have killed himself, which are in fact accurate.

When our own loved ones die, we advertise their deaths and let our friends and family member learn about it. One most important reason for this is because we need to be comforted by others by gaining their sympathies. At the same time, everything about the Pahlavi family is political, because this is a political family. Thus, gaining the sympathy of Iranian people, which are there anyway because a young innocent man has taken his own life (Sahimi himself sympathizes with the Pahlavi family, as he expressed in his comment above), has been mixed with politics. Why is saying something so obvious insensitive? I do not know whether the Pahlavi family intended it or not. But the initial statement does read like a political statement.

All those that have expressed their sympathies do so because he was a son of the Shah; that is, a political person. Many have used the occasion to attack the IRI and to yearn for the Pahlavi. Are these not political? Are these not attempt to take advantage of the situation and to blow off some steam?

Otherwise, every single day hundreds of young people die in Iran under the most tragic circumstances, far far worse than anything like this. Over 100 young people have been murdered since last year in political violence. Thousands have been tortured, and hundreds have been given long jail sentences. Which one is more tragic?

Why you people attack such a distinguished man who has written more about the crimes of the IRI over the past two years than anyone else, simply because he honestly responded to a very specific question (read his comment and the question that he was asked)?

There is no contradiction between his comment above, and his complete response to the question.
What I understand from Sahimi's comment above is that, this is not the time to talk about the Shah and what he has done, as his children had nothing to do with it. This is a most sensitive and sensible comment. And, in his response to the specific question he has remained true to his own statement.

Vaez / January 7, 2011 11:20 AM

Derar shahbanu and reza shah ,please acceopt my deepest sympathy this is a sad moment ,Iwish peace for Alireza joon ,for shshbonu aziz and the Royal family .Peace for aur homeland IRAn . And we will carry your ash to your final resting place , which your childhood memoeis ther. Iwish we get IFAN back with Riza's komak . Alireza joon we will miss you and your betifull smil . Down with TsLmic Repuplic .

fatemh minaei / January 7, 2011 1:18 PM

Our condolences to your family.We love you.

Attar / January 7, 2011 8:16 PM

God be with you and give you strength and endurance.

Nina / January 7, 2011 8:18 PM

Please accept our condolences and sympathy.

Mehrangiz / January 7, 2011 8:21 PM

I have been crying all days and nights, he was a great man, a prince destined to rule and love. You are our hero, You took your life out of your love for Iran and we will never forget and forgive. We will overcome this dark time and will build a memorial for you in free Iran . GOD bless the Mother Queen and King. A king's son is dead, Long live Queen and the King.My heartfelt condolences to great Aryan nation and Aryamehr family, Iran yearns for Pahlavi dynasty to steer Iran out of troubled waters.

alvat / January 7, 2011 8:26 PM

khedmat shahbanoo aziz va khanevade mohtaram tasliyat arz mikonam.

bita mohseni / January 7, 2011 9:01 PM

Dearest Shahbanou and Pahlavi family.Our thoughts are with you.Tasliat arz mikonim.

Afshar / January 8, 2011 2:36 AM

Yes it is truly heartbreaking.May he rest in peace.

Kamran and farideh / January 8, 2011 4:20 AM

Peace, prayers and blessings.

Karimi family / January 8, 2011 4:40 AM

You are in our prayers.Khodavandeh Iran zamin poshto panaheh shoma bashad madareh mehrban.

yasaman and Gitti Abramian / January 8, 2011 4:43 AM

Words cannot alone express how sorry we are to hear this news.Rest in peace.

Zand / January 8, 2011 4:46 AM

Dear Pahlavi family,
You have our heart felt sympathy for your loss.May you find peace with time.Iranians love you.

Latifeh / January 8, 2011 4:51 AM

From the bottom of all Persian hearts we morn for the passing of Prince Ali Reza Pahlavi. May the Lord bless the path of your resting place and to welcome you into his Heavenly Gates

M Reza / January 8, 2011 7:19 AM

Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Vahid / January 8, 2011 4:32 PM

khedmateh shahbanuieh azizeman va khanevadehieh mohtarameh pahlavi omidvarim in dardeh akhareh zendegieh shoma bashad.

payam_Iran / January 8, 2011 5:04 PM

شهبانوی ایران، شاهزاده و خانوادۀ محترم پهلوی، غمتان سنگین است ، کلامی برای تسلی نیست، صبر و زمان یارتان

farzad / January 8, 2011 6:08 PM

May God give you strengths and patience in this though times, so sorry for this loss.

Aysan / January 8, 2011 7:17 PM

بنى آدم اعضای يک پیکرند
که در آفرينش ز یک گوهرند
چو عضوى به درد آورد روزگار
دگر عضوها را نماند قرار
تو کز محنت دیگران بی غمی
نشاید که نامت نهند آدمی

Esfehan / January 8, 2011 11:16 PM

just maybe he fell in love with the ill fated iran
and the god forbid - the islamic faith as the rescue he might have been against -juxt apposed
or i hope might have a new identity with or without god !!! my condolences to the family and the words of my hart--emrika yi

Shahriar Shahin-nouri / January 9, 2011 6:07 AM

my condolences to our shah & empress farah & all your family.i came to US before revolution. my family destroyed . my dad died when he was 57. i have not visited his grave . i hope we be able to go back to are country someday .

Best regards,

maryam

maryam Adeli Gish / January 9, 2011 8:51 AM

As a mother I can not even begin to imagine the loss of a child.We love you shahbanoo.

E. Modiri / January 9, 2011 9:39 AM

My most Deepest Sympathy to the family. His memory will never fade, he will never be forgotten, because he meant so much tobthem. May his soul find peace in the afterlife. Again, my most deepest sympathy.

Mary Jane Perez Cornielle / January 9, 2011 11:28 AM

God be with you dear Shahbanou and your respectful family.

Vakili / January 10, 2011 12:42 AM

Rest in peace.
On behalf of my family I respectfully ofer our condolences to Shahbanou and the Pahlavi family.

Payman / January 10, 2011 7:18 AM

My deepest sympathy to the Pahlavi family. I am very sorry that you have to endure so much pain & calamity. May God grant you much patience and ease your pain. I am also very sad and sorry to see so many idiots making such absurd and undignified comments. As the saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing". And to those same uneducated idiots, if they like the 33 yrs. regime in Iran, then pack up your bags and get the hell over there and reap the benefits of what you helped plant in that country. So many millions of people have suffered & continue suffering. Enough is enough. Let this family mourn and heal. God bless the Pahlavis.

A Proud Persian / January 10, 2011 10:06 AM

Dear shahbanou we love you.

Susan / January 10, 2011 7:38 PM

Khedmateh Shahbanouieh geram va Shahzadeh Reza Pahlavi va khanevadehieh mohtaram. Ba ghalbi shekasteh va andoohgin az tarafeh khanevadehieh khodam tasliat arz mikonam.

Nariman / January 11, 2011 12:06 AM

as an american - as a mother - as a human being - I am sad to read of the death of the prince. May his mother find some peace somewhere.

nancye michaelian / January 11, 2011 7:21 AM

Our deepest sympathy to the Pahlavi family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Majid A, / January 11, 2011 2:34 PM

May he rest in peace.

Jamileh / January 12, 2011 1:51 AM

its so sad to here of the princes death. to his family I offer my prayers. may God give you all you need and bring peace to youre heart.

Anonymous / January 12, 2011 11:48 AM

I respectfully offer my condolences to the Pahlavi family.

reyhaneh / January 13, 2011 8:15 AM

Iran loves you

Keyvan / January 14, 2011 1:22 PM

Dear shahbanoo& Prince Reza Pahlavi& Princess Farahnaz,
We wish.you a long happy prosper life. You are all very good people & so (ROO SEFID in front of the eyes of God & people who believe in God).
May Shah, Alireza & Laila rest in peace
Love
Msue

MsUe / January 28, 2011 4:34 PM

What goes on today in Iran is very difficult to understand the insecurity of those ruling the country.I would have thought that being Muslims they would be tolerant and respectfull to there fellow men. Can they be happy with all these crimes and bloodshed?.
As a mother I ask God to give them understanding and fear of what will be their future.
Time is a dominating factor What we sow shall we reap. God bless all the inhabitants in Iran to give them peace and wisdom so as the world will respect them as a nation not a living HELL.
Peace and calm to the Pavlevi family -ask God forgiveness to the crimes committed today in Iran. irene freeman

IRENE FREEMAN / February 3, 2011 10:35 PM