Steamed Bok Choy and Shiitakes
Steamed bok choy and shiitakes with rock shrimp flashed with ginger oil
Makes 4 entrée servings
- 4 medium bok choy, ends removed, rinsed, dried and leaves separated (arranged by size)
- 1-1/2 pounds rock shrimp, rinsed and dried
- 2 eggs
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green separated
- 1 cup cooked sushi rice (Koshi Hikari)
- 8 fresh shiitake caps
- 1 tablespoon naturally brewed soy sauce
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, julienned
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, add the shrimps, eggs and scallion whites. Pulse until a thick, chunky mousse is formed. Do not puree until super smooth.
- Fold in the scallion greens and rice and season lightly with salt and black pepper to taste. Build the bok choy back together, with the mousse between all the layers. The bok choy will double in size.
- Take the shiitakes and fill the open side with the mousse. Place the bok choy in a steamer and steam for 8 to 10 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, add the shiitakes, mousse-side up.
- Transfer to a plate and let rest 3 minutes before slicing each bok choy into 3 to 5 slices. Lay out slices of bok choy on a plate around the shiitakes. Meanwhile, heat the oil to almost smoking.
- Drizzle a very little bit of naturally brewed soy sauce on the bok choy and shiitake. Quickly add the ginger to the hot oil, then immediately flash the bok choy and shiitakes by drizzling some of the hot oil over them. Serve immediately.
This segment appears in show #2705.
Recipe courtesy of Ming Tsai
© 2002 Ming Tsai