Over the past four decades, Clint Eastwood has touched generations of moviegoers as an actor, writer, producer and director. Since the beginning of his career as a contract actor for Universal Pictures in 1955, Eastwood’s credits have grown to include roles in more than 55 films. He has also directed 23 movies and produced 18 others. After years in Hollywood, he won the film industry’s highest honor when his “Unforgiven” won the Academy Award for Best Director, Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor and Best Editor. Using Eastwood as an example of an American film icon, students will learn about and understand the concept of icons by watching the AMERICAN MASTERS episode “Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows” and by applying Guided Reading strategies to the essays and interviews featured on the AMERICAN MASTERS Web site. In the culminating project, students will prepare presentations focusing on American and global icons of the 20th and 21st centuries.
- One hour for an introductory lesson about icons
- 90 minutes to view “Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows”
- Two sessions to explore Clint Eastwood’s icon status and for presentations
- Two sessions to work on final project and presentations
American History, World History, Film
Students will be able to:
- Understand the concept of icons and its relationship to ideals that are valued in American culture.
- Work together in small groups.
- Practice writing persuasively and for presentation purposes.
- Conduct research using Internet sources and primary source material.
- Share what they have learned in an oral and visual presentation.
MCREL LANGUAGE ARTS, Level 4, Standard 5 http://www.mcrel.org/compendium/Benchmark.asp?SubjectID=7&StandardID=5
Uses the general skills and strategies of the reading process
MCREL THINKING AND REASONING, Level 4, Standard 2
Understands and applies basic principles of logic and reasoning
MCREL LANGUAGE ARTS, Level 4, Standard 8
Uses listening and speaking strategies for different purposes
MCREL LANGUAGE ARTS, Level 4, Standard 9
Uses viewing skills and strategies to understand and interpret visual media
MCREL WORKING WITH OTHERS, Level 4, Standard 1
Contributes to the overall effort of a group