Sen. Al Franken says he will resign after sexual misconduct allegations
Sen. Al Franken, D- Minn., said Thursday he would resign from Congress amid allegations of sexual misconduct from at least seven women.
The Democrat from Minnesota stood on the floor of the Senate Thursday and made his announcement.
"Today I am announcing that in the coming weeks that I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate," he said, providing no specific date.
Minnesotans first elected Franken to Senate in 2008 in a contentious contest against Republican incumbent Norm Coleman. He was re-elected in 2014. On Nov. 16, Franken became the latest official to be accused of sexual misconduct, when a 2006 photograph surfaced showing the then-comedian groping radio host Leeann Tweeden while she slept during a USO tour in Afghanistan. Tweeden also said Franken forcibly kissed her during the tour.
Since then, a total of at least eight women have come forward making allegations of sexual misconduct against Franken, according to the Associated Press. On Nov. 24, Franken apologized to women who said he groped them. His decision to resign came after a growing number of Democratic senators called on him to step down.
Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton said he has not decided who he would name to replace Franken's seat in the Senate, but he planned to name a person in the next two days, the Associated Press reported.
PBS NewsHour will update this story as it develops