Support Intelligent, In-Depth, Trustworthy Journalism.
The rise is mostly due to lower death rates for cancer and drug overdoses.
A U.S. resident who recently returned from an overseas trip has been diagnosed with the new virus that has sparked an outbreak in China and stringent monitoring around the world, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.
Most of the nearly 2,300 people who suffered lung damage had vaped liquids that contain THC, the high-inducing part of marijuana.
The U.S. winter flu season is off to its earliest start in more than 15 years.
Nearly 2,300 Americans who vape have gotten sick since March, many of them teens and young adults, according to a recent tally by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. At least 47 people have died.
The decline is mainly attributed to an intense effort in hospitals to control the spread of particularly dangerous infections.
The compound — vitamin E acetate — was previously found in liquid from electronic cigarettes and other vaping devices used by many of those who got sick.
The investigation is ongoing. No single device, ingredient or additive has been identified.
Overdose deaths had been climbing each year since 1990, topping 70,000 in 2017.
The updated national tally has already eclipsed the total for any full year since 1994, when 963 cases were reported.
Support Provided By:
Subscribe to Here’s the Deal, our politics newsletter for analysis you won’t find anywhere else.
Thank you. Please check your inbox to confirm.