Daily VideoSeptember 10, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Dr. Fauci on Biden’s new efforts to increase vaccination rates
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To read the transcript of the video, click here.
Summary: President Joe Biden’s plan to get the country vaccinated would essentially require two-thirds of American workers to get vaccinated or face weekly testing. The Department of Labor will draft new rules requiring the same for all businesses with 100 workers or more. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, joins Judy Woodruff to discuss that and more.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who will be required to get vaccinated under the Biden administration’s new guidelines?
- What are some of the other new vaccination rules that the Biden administration announced that are described in this piece?
- When will the new rules go into place?
- Why is the Biden administration proposing these new rules now, according to this piece?
- How would a higher vaccination rate help the limit the spread and impact of COVID, according to this piece?
- What do you think are the best strategies for getting more people vaccinated and lower COVID infections?
- Do you think the president should have the power to compel private businesses to enforce vaccine or testing mandates? Why or why not?
Media literacy: Why do you think the producers chose to interview Dr. Anthony Fauci about this topic and not a political appointee of the president’s?
In the face of the delta variant, businesses are starting to require vaccinations for employees. Find out more here.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading
Hear from one young refugee on how poetry and art have helped her process trauma Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How Trump’s disinformation campaign about 2020 presidential election spreads a dangerous message
Donald Trump in Iowa highlights grievances against Democrats with more lies about the 2020 election that he lost Continue reading