Daily VideoAugust 24, 2021
Daily News Lesson: The FDA grants full approval for vaccine
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. To read the transcript of the video, click here.
Summary: The Food and Drug Administration’s full authorization to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine has a number of public health officials hopeful the move will encourage people who had been reluctant to get a shot now. For more on the approval and inoculation efforts, Judy Woodruff turns to Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is interviewed for this piece and what is his background?
- What are some of the reasons the Pfizer vaccine is just now officially approved by the FDA, even though millions have already taken it?
- When are other commonly used COVID vaccines expected to be officially approved?
- Where are vaccination rates lagging?
- Why is the process of obtaining approval for new medications or vaccines so time consuming?
- How has the U.S. tried to speed up the process?
- Do you think the FDA’s full approval will encourage more people to take the vaccine? Why or why not?
- What do you think are some ways to help encourage people to take the vaccine who haven’t already?
Media literacy: Why do you think PBS NewsHour turned to Dr. Anthony Fauci to discuss latest developments in COVID-19 and its treatment and prevention?
- Check out this lesson plan to discuss ways to encourage community members to help get the vaccine.
- Learn about one of many strategies being used to get people vaccinated in locations where they’re comfortable.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading