Daily VideoSeptember 20, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Thousands of Haitian migrants camp at Texas border as authorities ramp up relief
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Some students may find it easier to read along with the transcript or turn on closed captions/CC.
Summary: Over the last several days a crowd of migrants awaiting U.S. processing outside a Texas border community has grown to more than 10,000. The migrants, mostly from Haiti, have been sheltering under a major bridge as the Biden administration tries to speed up processing. Washington Post reporter Arelis Hernández joins Amna Nawaz from Del Rio, Texas to discuss the scene.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who has gathered at the border in unsafe conditions and where are they from, according to this piece?
- What are some of the dangerous conditions described in this piece?
- When did these migrants begin the journey to the U.S.-Mexico border?
- Why have these migrants made the journey, according to the reporter interviewed here?
- How is the U.S. government and other authorities responding to the large gathering of migrants?
- Why do you think mostly Haitian immigrants made the long and dangerous journey from Haiti through Mexico to the border? Do you think there are or should be better ways to apply for asylum?
- Who do you think should take responsibility for the health and safety of these thousands of migrants?
Media literacy: Why do you think the audience didn’t hear directly from one of the migrants described in this piece?
- To better understand some of the difficulties Haitian immigrants are trying to flee, see this Daily News Lesson on the impact of earthquakes in flooding on the island nation, and this lesson on some of the political problems that Haitian citizens face.
- To better understand how the Biden administration has responded to large groups of migrants seeking asylum at the border, see this Daily News Lesson on deportation flights or this one on response to a group of Central American migrants in the spring.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading