Just two years of preschool can stay with people for decades, making them healthier, more intelligent adults. NOVA Next contributor Madeline Ostranderreports the story.
In other news from NOVA and around the web:
- Introducing Gross Science ! How sea cucumber guts could revolutionize medicine, how different diseases smell, and more. Subscribe to our new YouTube channel, hosted by NOVA’s own Anna Rothschild and produced by WGBH for PBS Digital Studios .
- Great news! NOVA’s Elements iPad app is a nominee for this year’s Webby Awards! Vote for the People’s Choice award here .
- How do you tie a knot out of a fluid? “Knotty Thrills” has been selected as an Official Honoree in The Webby Awards in the Online Video: Science & Education category! Watch here .
- This photo of a lion about to pounce is exquisite, but it almost cost the photographer his life.
- If you’re underweight, you may be at higher risk of dementia .
- For people with PTSD, virtual reality scenarios could help heal the mind.
- The first sign of a faulty blood transfusion is “ a feeling of impending doom .” (This is an actual medical symptom!)
- Who will be the next Einstein ? It’s not clear that there ever will be one.
- Imagine a battery that charges in just one minute . Scientists just made one with aluminum foil.
- Brontosaurus is back from the dead .
- Scientists are beginning to build a catalogue of life’s signature colors .
- Simple, cartographic exercises can radically alter the real world.