I, Cringely - The Survival of the Nerdiest with Robert X. Cringely
Search I,Cringely:

The Pulpit
Pulpit Comments
Status: [OPEN] add a comment

I'll be sad to see you go. Keep us posted, if your still blogging a lot of us will still be reading.

d4ddi0 | Nov 14, 2008 | 5:57PM

Sorry to see you go - but I guess you will be around in another "avatar"...

I was going to say "Bob's finally lost it!" - but the last two paragraphs explain everything!

Kiran | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:03PM

You have my vote.

Jim Spacebloom | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:05PM

Does your departure mean the end of writing for the original Robert X. Cringely? I started reading your columns in InfoWorld, hopefully you will start a new blog/rss/something.

Aren't you too busy putting rockets on the moon to be America's CTO?

dg | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:06PM

Does that mean no season 2 of NerdTV?

twfromwi | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:11PM

Ooooh Noooo! It's fashionable to say "well, whatever, do your own thing", so I guess I might say that. But in the meantime - Cringely gone?! Oooooh Noooo!

jag | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:19PM

Woo hoo! We'll have a CTO that's right 0.5% of the time, which is 0.5% more than most Washingtonians....

ErikTheRed | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:21PM

Bob, I'll miss you. I've been a regular reader and watcher since the original Nerds. I use that and the Internet history series in my college class. I wish you well, either inside or outside the Beltway.

Best regards and wishes.

Steve Stockdale | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:34PM

Bob, Thank you for all the wonderful columns. You've written a lot of great stuff over the years.

If I may say so, the recent columns on miracle fuels and practically unlimited cheap solar power did seem to have a (cough, cough) very slender basis in demonstrated science and technology. If you work for Obama, I hope it is in a creative role, not as somebody who writes the checks.

All the best, hope to see you on the net again soon.

Damien | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:38PM

Sorry to see you go Bob, its been a great read all these years.

BTW: What is your real name?

John R. | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:45PM

You owe us a recap on our predictions for 2008.

calzone | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:48PM

Wow Bob. I'm really going to miss your column. You have interesting insights and have a style all your own.

I hope you are serious about the CTO job. I think you would be perfect.

Geoff P. | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:50PM

oops, that comment should have said:
You owe us a recap on YOUR predictions for 2008.

calzone | Nov 14, 2008 | 6:50PM

*** What About Nerd TV???? ***

ace ventura | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:12PM

Wait! I know, let's get a Google to develop a program that monitors search habits and devotes spending to the technologies with the biggest interest. Everyone likes wikis? BILLIONS FOR WIKIS! BLOGS FOR ALL! Oh wait... crap.

You know what'd work for this whole economic mess? Reign in spending, cut taxes and re-value the currency so you don't need easy credit for people to have faith in your economy.

While we're at it let's make political corruption punishable by death. Congressman takes a free boat from StuperCorp? Congressman gets the gallows. And i mean public hanging, no petty lethal injection after years of appeals I mean actual death by hanging within 1 year of it happening. Let the constituents be the jury they voted em in, they can re-vote em out... way out.

Pete | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:36PM

Bob,

Keep in touch. I have absolutely loved reading your whit and news and will sorely miss you. I have looked forward to each weeks articles with baited breath. (Seriously!)

And I'm one of those guys living in igloos above your Northern border. ;-)

Don't go far, and copy the e-mail database before you leave. Gee, that must be a joke.

Sandy | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:37PM

Wow, thanks for the years of writing and for being so accessible. Good luck with the gig in DC should you get it. ;)

Cooper | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:46PM

Does this mean NerdTV is officially dead?

mikeal | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:50PM

Does this mean NerdTV is officially dead?

mikeal | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:50PM

I am very sadden that you will no longer be writing your insightful columns! I have enjoyed them very much. Good luck in Washington!

Jay | Nov 14, 2008 | 7:58PM

Nooo! I've been reading this column every week since the late 90s, basically my whole professional career. I'm not sure I'll know what to do with myself once it's gone.

Darren | Nov 14, 2008 | 8:04PM

You had to go and announce your column retirement will be on my birthday. What a horrible thing to do!

Mufasa | Nov 14, 2008 | 8:16PM

They say that all good things must end. But that surely does not include the ending itself. I have followed you since you wrote for...hmmmm--it was an IT print weekly...not Information Week...oh well, I give up. A long time. Best to you and thanks for the great writing, the great insight, the controversies and general barking all 'round.

Gary | Nov 14, 2008 | 8:17PM

I loved "Accidental Empires" back in the 90s, and I've read your article every week since. Thanks for all the insight, intellect, humor, and humanity. Take care of yourself, Bob!

Matt Scarpino | Nov 14, 2008 | 8:20PM

Good Luck Bob for whatever is on the horizon.

Now, I'll look into my magic Cringley ball and see what caused your decision:

1) Steve Jobs paid you hush money to get rid of your pesky comments about Apple

2) One of those startups that you never invest in made you an offer you couldn't refuse

3) You want to do podcasts and after the fiasco of last week, PBS told you "no, NO!"

4) You really did fill in the job application form on change.gov

5) Nerd TV got picked up by the comedy channel

oh well, good luck do matter what

DC Stu | Nov 14, 2008 | 8:43PM

Say it ain't so Bob.

I wish you the best of success in whatever you do next, and hope you have something in the hopper come 1 January. Your column is one of the few things I check regularly on the net. Your writing was witty, technical without being incomprehensible, and best of all, it made me thing.

Thank you for the 600 columns and 11 years.

Jeff Scott | Nov 14, 2008 | 9:36PM

ive been reading for a couple of years, and its been fantastic. look forward to catching up with you next year! a

tokyo tech tunes | Nov 14, 2008 | 9:47PM

You want to be associated with the backwards party? For the love of christmas do not.

Freemon Sandlewould | Nov 14, 2008 | 9:47PM

I'm very sorry to hear that you will not be with PBS anymore.

I spent my childhood and adolescence hacking C and assembly on my dad's 486, and through the latter part I had my recorded copy of Triumph of the Nerds to fill my head with wishful thoughts about the future.

Thanks.

D | Nov 14, 2008 | 9:51PM

Woe is me.

Whatever will become of

Season 2 of NerdTV?

Alas, the super-secret guest,

never will we see.

Oh, woe is me.

Farewell, Mark.

Darryl | Nov 14, 2008 | 10:12PM

Hate to see you go. I've been reading since back in the InfoWorld days. Always looked forward to your thoughts each week.

Best of Luck.

Philip | Nov 14, 2008 | 10:47PM

Well farewell Bob and thanks for all the columns and the excellent TV shows you've done over the years.

However promise us you will advance your 2009 predictions column so its out by December 15.

PS. Good luck with the new job at Apple. ;)

George | Nov 14, 2008 | 11:41PM

Anyone that doesn't understand why solar cell development doesn't follow Moore's Law should not be national CTO.

Jim | Nov 14, 2008 | 11:56PM

Bob, Friday afternoons will not be the same. Like many others I started reading you in the InfoWorld days and followed you over to PBS. My only hope is that you will keep the words flowing somewhere on the web. I have many articles that I can claim as favorites but your "Stranger in a Strange Land: How Homer Sarasohn Brought Industrial Quality to Japan and Why It Took Japan So Long to Learn" is my all time favorite. Hopefully, these writings will be archived and available for us to reflect on in years to come.

Good luck, sorry to see you go. Now I need to figure out what to do with that extra 1/2-1 hr. of newly found free time on Fridays.

Dave B | Nov 15, 2008 | 12:35AM

Sorry to see you leave PBS Bob and I'll miss reading your articles on Friday and sometimes Saturday or Thursday or Wednesday but I won't say good-by because I know you will get back to us, even if you're a big shot in DC.

Thought I might run into you some day in Charleston (A town I will always associate with loss and sadness because it's where my wife and I learned she has inoperable cancer and where she gets her treatment) but I suppose that has an even smaller probability of happening now.

Good luck man!

Robin Smith | Nov 15, 2008 | 1:30AM

Say it ain't so, Bob. Now I'll never get the "other perspective" cuz I'll never trust another. Well please let your fans know (when you know) what your future plans are. Thank you. Cringely - yes we can!

LL in SF | Nov 15, 2008 | 2:25AM

Steve Jobs hired you, didn't he?

Kevin Kunreuther | Nov 15, 2008 | 2:41AM

Wait just a darn minnit!

Kevin Kunreuther | Nov 15, 2008 | 2:43AM

> You're not leaving 'til you deliver season 2 in full of Nerds 2.0, including your super secret guest.

Steve Jobs. It all makes sense! :)

George | Nov 15, 2008 | 2:58AM

Yes, What about nerd TV 2? I am going to miss the columns as well, always enjoyed them, but what happened to Nerd TV 2. I remember Bob coming up with some excuse but he still intended to release Nerd TV 2 eventually. What happened?
Bob, please answer I am starting to feel ripped off.

Cheers,
Tom

tom | Nov 15, 2008 | 3:47AM

Best of luck Bob!

You aren't always right in what you write but you (and the tribe) always cause thought.

John | Nov 15, 2008 | 4:54AM

Bob, I am rarely driven to comment online. I generally prefer to read and absorb. But this is one of those times when nothing any of your readers can say will really say what we think and feel.
You have been entertaining, witty and inciteful, ever since Triumph of the Nerds, one of my favourite movies, after Star Wars of course.
You dont say but are you going to retire before your pension fund goes belly up? Did your aluminium foil hard drive win at last and make you a fortune?
Either way thanks for my Saturday evenings entertainment for these last years. I hope you let your loyal fan base know of any new projects that appear out of the mist.
On the brighter side my wife will be happy, I'll have to talk to her at least one night a week now.
Happy days and good luck

Geoff | Nov 15, 2008 | 4:59AM

Thanks and Good luck

any | Nov 15, 2008 | 7:21AM

Bob-san,
I am stunned. I just found out about you about 2 years ago. Now are you going to take your future ideas away? I wish I could simply say, "Good Luck. etc." But right now I can't, because I am severely disappointed in not only losing you every week but the tribe's crappy and insightful comments. A true slice of Americanna's need to be stroked, insightful contributions for the betterment of mankind, and plain sarcastic sourness. all of these elements I appreciated because it is so different from what I have experienced here in Japan after leaving LA CA.

What does the future hold for all of us in 2009? This small event makes me even curiouser and curiouser.
Well this isn't your last one yet, I'll save the God Speed! wishes until later.

KomaGawa | Nov 15, 2008 | 8:21AM

Hey Bob,
This is very sad piece of news for me. I have enjoyed your columns and was constantly amazed by your creative thinking and approach. You are very rare people and I will miss your column dearly. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do! Alex

Alex Finkelstein | Nov 15, 2008 | 8:30AM

I have Enjoyed you for lots of years. I respect your choice to leave PBS. Good Luck too you!

Chuck Rasmus | Nov 15, 2008 | 10:17AM

Hi Bob,

Very sad news, indeed.
I was used to your chronicles wich I think is one of the best in the IT world!
Many thanks fo all these years with us, you will miss a lot to a very large bunch of people, for sure!

Alain Lefebvre | Nov 15, 2008 | 11:23AM

Hi Bob,

Your seminal work for PBS with the production of The Triumph of the Nerds: The Rise of Accidental Empires is one of the most important events of the technology age.

Your columns here have been nothing short of brilliant and prescient.

I, for one, would absolutely vote you in for the nation's first Chief Technology Officer. Alas, in this democracy, voting is only reserved for certain offices --- not the one to which you aspire.

Best of luck. To all of us --- we'll need it.

-ted

Captain Curious | Nov 15, 2008 | 11:42AM

as a regular reader, i wish you the best, and fervently hope you will continue some sort of blogging column to share your thoughts with us

best of luck!

jp | Nov 15, 2008 | 11:48AM

I'll miss your column, really

Raphael | Nov 15, 2008 | 12:09PM

Bob, you are worthy of the CTO gig. good luck and wherever you go, keep writing.

rob s | Nov 15, 2008 | 12:29PM

Bob,
Long time reader and first time writer. From the bottom of my heart I hope that this, this your silliest prediction yet, is your most accurate.
Your Country needs you.

rory | Nov 15, 2008 | 12:34PM

I will also miss your column. Hopefully you will write in some other form, media or whatever. I've read your stuff since Notes from the Field in the InfoWorld days and I'll take the opportunity to say:

Thank you kindly for all the entertaining reading, insightful thoughts and daring predictions. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you're gonna do next.

Steve Danielsson | Nov 15, 2008 | 1:09PM

I have not omly enjoyed your weekly column but your docos Triumph Of The Nerds + Nerds 2 very informative hope to see more of you in the future

Howard Lyons | Nov 15, 2008 | 2:41PM

Bob, I believe I discovered your column during your first year with PBS. I have looked forward to it ever since. Your column and your specials on PBS have entertained me and educated me about technology. Thank you very much. I truly will miss you, so I certainly hope you will find another means of communication. Best wishes in the future.

Steve | Nov 15, 2008 | 3:26PM

Dear Cringe - Sorry to hear you are leaving, I've enjoyed your insights into the new world of information that is emerging. But you can't leave until the long promised second season of Nerd TV. Is PBS going to carry through on that or is that your personal project?

gkoehler | Nov 15, 2008 | 3:41PM

Bob,
Since you so freely speek your mind, I would like to introduce myself. I am your new lawyer. When President B.O. takes office and realizes that he's got a loose cannon that is easily distracted, you'll quickly get censored. You may have lots of great ideas, albeit hair-brained at times, but lawyers are going to dictate what can and cannot be said without offending the entrenched politicians in the FCC and FTC, which already have some president in the communication and business discussions surrounding IT.

Still, if you can get the job, then please solve the last mile problem once and for all, without dotting the countryside with 800 foot towers. Oh, and please find a way to balance the freedom that allows spam/malware with the needs of aspiring inventors.

I look forward to reviewing your policy to abolish the patent and trademark office.

Bob's Lawyer | Nov 15, 2008 | 4:49PM

Bob,

I've been a reader of your columns since the Infoworld Notes from the Field days and always enjoyed the gossip, conspiracy theories and your take on what's happening in IT. I suppose it will be like the transition from Infoworld to PBS; you won't tell us where you're going next, we'll have to find you. Before you go, please tell us what happened to Pammy - I missed that bit at the end of the Infoworld saga.

longtimereader | Nov 15, 2008 | 6:49PM

Like others I have read you since the InfoWorld days and am a big fan of Accidental Empires.

I have appreciated your thought provoking columns and will miss them. I hope you will find some public outlet so that your loyal fans can continue to tap into your insight.

LA Fan | Nov 15, 2008 | 6:51PM

Bah. Washington is a good place for you. I have been waiting for 2 years for the next episode of Nerd TV, which is obviously an empty promise. I've been anxious to see the interview with the Woz that I guess now will never come. BAH!!!!

Dave Smith | Nov 15, 2008 | 7:20PM

That sucks for us, although I know it will be good for you. Let us know where you go so we can follow you, in the best Twitter sense of the word.

You'd make a great CTO, too, but for another reason: you aren't afraid to say what you think.

francine hardaway | Nov 15, 2008 | 7:38PM

Bob,
Hope your next activity goes well.
I have been a fan of yours for years because of your pleasantly quirky views, reasoned arguments and novel stories.
No doubt there will be some blog where you speak again.
For what it is worth (not much) I second your nomination.
The world needs different thinking to the thinking that got us all into this mess.
You seem to be the least likely of IT journalists to being "owned" by some suit.

Denarius | Nov 15, 2008 | 8:02PM

You the man, Bob.

Bubba Man | Nov 15, 2008 | 9:08PM

It seems like yesterday I was hiding away in the library between classes in college, reading about you and Pammy zipping down the highway in your Info World columns.

Your insight will be greatly missed--from your clean explanations why electronic voting is a bad idea (any chance you'll get Obama's ear on that issue?), to more geeky issues like OS/2 vs. NT, sharing DSL with your neighbor who lived miles away via a directional antennae because your CO was "out of range", teaming up with Russian rocket scientists to go for the Lunar X-prize, integrating your own car entertainment system for your kids via a Linux server under the front seat with WiFi to PSPs, rubbing elbows with the Silicon Valley elite, etc...

And of course we all felt your pain when you shared the loss of your infant son to SIDS.

What I've admired so much in your columns is not only your take on tech issues, but your outstanding writing style. The clarity in your writing has been a real treat all these years.

I truly hope that the Nation's first CTO gig lies in your hands. I'd trust no one more to make the right decisions for the right reasons. Meanwhile, I'll cherish your remaining issues.

Scott Cother | Nov 15, 2008 | 11:02PM

I also thought I might have the good fortune to bump into you in Charleston. Back when I was much brasher and over confident I taught school there. In Feb and March we will make a trip to the States. I hoped to take our family to Folly Beach where my most precious memories of that time reside. I wonder if you are going to relocate?

KomaGawa | Nov 15, 2008 | 11:24PM

> Does your departure mean the end of writing for the original Robert X. Cringely?

Robert Cringely and Robert X. Cringely are two different people. Watch the first ever episode of the 1980s Twilight Zone called 'Shatterday' for an explanation.

Dave | Nov 16, 2008 | 12:30AM

I really like this column and I will be sad to see it go, and yes you are right most of the time.

While investing in a new national network hardware sounds important. I don't want a new new deal, but Apparently 9 million people did (approximate popular vote swing total). I hope they like paying higher taxes for something they may reject in four or eight years.

Cringely should be CTO, but In the long run, I rather have no Obama.

hal98x | Nov 16, 2008 | 12:45AM

Hi Bob-

You can leave AFTER the second season of NerdTV has been published. So don't be getting any fancy ideas about moving on.

All the best.

Cheers, Jason

Jason Osgood | Nov 16, 2008 | 12:57AM

Sadly, you won't get the CTO job, unless you've got some serious lobby in your corner that you haven't told your audience about. It's been a great conversation so far. So many questions:
Are you done with columns/blogging period?
Is your private lunar venture getting any closer to fruition?
Are you concentrating more on private consulting or is it another book?
Is Steve Jobs tapping you as a placeholder for Pagemaster's iPod job until this thing between Apple and IBM blows over?
What's going to happen to the long delayed season two NerdsTV? Is that going to become the SMiLE of lost internet broadcast series?
Are you surrendering/retiring totally the I,Cringely moniker?

Good Luck in your future endeavors

Kevin Kunreuther | Nov 16, 2008 | 1:08AM

Oh damn, now I have to figure this stuff out for myself?

Thank you for the hidden meanings and causes you exposed. Thank you for turning me on to wiki's. Thank you for confirming that Mr. Rogers was the nicest guy on earth.

Thanks for saying what you thought without hiding your biases (few as they were), your failures, and your triumphs.

Safe travels
-R

Richard C Haven | Nov 16, 2008 | 2:36AM

I've been reading your weekly PBS columns for years Bob, they will be greatly missed

Where will I get intelligent IT/technology industry punditry after December :-( ?

Neerav | Nov 16, 2008 | 7:11AM

So the ONLY tech columnist who actually revisits his predictions and assesses his batting average is leaving us?!!!

Notorious bWg | Nov 16, 2008 | 7:54AM

So Robert X Cringley is done.
What is Mark Stevens going to do?

Dave Barnes | Nov 16, 2008 | 10:48AM

Damn, you're leaving, and just when the conversation began to get interesting. What should the new CTO do, indeed? My personal record of junk:gold on purchasing tech equipment is 100:1, so I would not like the government trying their hand.

Here's an idea for the new CTO: try acting as a CTO. Go over every damn business in the US Govt and try to increase productivity (ie save money over a 4 year frame) through the application of technology.

Ted Murphy | Nov 16, 2008 | 11:03AM

Good Luck Cringe. I'll miss your column which was always thought provoking though I disagreed with your conclusions quite often.

To the CTO thing, though, If Obama names you CTO, I'll be assured he just doesn't get tech. For old farts like us tech has just passed us by.

mac84 | Nov 16, 2008 | 1:00PM

Thanks for all the great writing.

And for the courage and insanity to make "Plane Crazy", which teaches more about project management and scheduling than it ever did about building a plane.

Best of luck.

RyanE | Nov 16, 2008 | 2:28PM

What in the world is a U.S. CTO supposed to do? There would be nothing for this person to do. Maybe the position entails setting up a dart board with possible "Next big thing" technologies and he/she can throw darts at the board to predict future trends in I.T. direction.

Nobamabot | Nov 16, 2008 | 3:22PM

Bob, Great posts and with a pinch of salt they always provoked a rye smile. CTO of USA Inc.? One sure way to get Team Cringely to the moon ;) Much Luck & Best Wishes

DaveG | Nov 16, 2008 | 6:36PM

Bob,

I enjoy reading your columns, but your seeming hatred for all things Apple would serious make me wonder whether you'd be a good match. It's almost as if you and Apple dated and Apple unilaterally dumped you. I think we need someone with a bit more objectivity.

Greg

Greg | Nov 16, 2008 | 6:40PM

Go Cringely!

The Obaminator & the Cringinator for the 21st Century!

Neill K | Nov 16, 2008 | 7:18PM

The immunity to the special interest groups is what gives you the edge Mr Cringely.

I will be sad post December 15, as your columns have always been a great read and have entertained for me the past 11 years.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

Tim | Nov 16, 2008 | 8:33PM

Bob,

Sorry to see you go onto other things. Your columns have been entertaining.

Eric

eric | Nov 16, 2008 | 8:37PM

This was the most unique column ever! Hopefully it's not the end and will see you somewhere else...btw, what about NerdTV 2.0?

Good Luck:)

look | Nov 16, 2008 | 9:18PM

I'm not surprised to see the column turn into a position wanted ad. Bob has been hinting he needs a job. PBS doesn't sell ads. Nerd TV is strictly a hobby. He's clearly been using the column to gain notoriety and get a consulting gig or some other commercial gain.

None of it was ever real. Grow up you clueless geeks.

joeb | Nov 16, 2008 | 9:22PM

Thanks Bob

Eric Marang | Nov 16, 2008 | 11:11PM

Sorry to see you are going to be moving on, but everything comes to a close eventually. Best to go out of your own terms.

One fond memory I'll have of this column is the alternating weeks where you'd comment about Microsoft and then about Apple. In the Microsoft week you'd get a ton of comments that said, "Cringely hates Microsoft and Gates! He's in the bag for Apple!". Then the Apple week you'd get a ton of comments that said, "Bob is on the Microsoft payroll! He's always had issues with Jobs and Apple!". I took it as an indication that you were doing something right when both sides took aim against you. :-)

Now I'm going to have to find somewhere else where tech issues are made more human...

UnSub | Nov 17, 2008 | 1:09AM

Good luck and thanks for:

1. Admitting your mistakes
2. Learning from new information and sources and always crediting them
3. Diving into new concepts and always seeking the picture behind the picture
4. Going deeply technical when it was topical
5. Doing hands-on experiments to test your ideas
6. Leading me to buy Apple stock in 2000

WLH | Nov 17, 2008 | 2:02AM

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the columns. I've read (most of them) with much interest.

Charlie Mason | Nov 17, 2008 | 2:41AM

Bob,

I look forward to the final review of your predictions with a little sadness. I've been following your columns for many years and look forward to reading them with my coffee every week.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do whether it be journalism, astronautism or CTOism.

Alan ~ Brit in Basel

Alan ~ Brit in Basel | Nov 17, 2008 | 2:51AM

I've been reading your column for last 5 years or so...your column is one of the few things i look forward to every week-end...i guess i will surely miss your unique perspective of how this industry works.

But wait, you are saying you gonna only quit PBS and not stop writing...so I am hoping you will continue to write and let us read it...

All the Best for anything you take up on...keep your blogging (if i may use the word) cap on (at least for us...)

Venkat

Venkat | Nov 17, 2008 | 3:09AM

Thanks for all the fun reading, It's been a blast and an education. Where will we be able to follow your moon landing project?

Hope you get your dream job, and it's not too disappointing.

BTW, you realise that breaks your rule of always being fired?

Dylan | Nov 17, 2008 | 4:17AM

I've been an ardent reader of your columns the past 3-4 years.. its been quite inspiring and a source information for those of us living in this part of the world.

You surely have done a great job and hope Obama reads this!

Akpome
Lagos, Nigeria

Akpome | Nov 17, 2008 | 4:38AM

I agree with it all - your columns have ALWAYS been interesting & thought-provoking; Monday mornings won't be the same.
Will the President-Elect allow you to continue blogging?

Trev Dymond | Nov 17, 2008 | 4:58AM

Man, I'm sad to hear you won't be writing this column anymore. I have been reading it for several years and it is the only blog I have consistently read in that time. Your perspective is something that I have found to be unique, well informed, and VERY interesting. I really really hope you will continue writing somewhere. I wish you the very best in all future endeavours. Please note, as a business owner / investor, it is very important for people like me that you share your insights regularly in a public forum somewhere, so please keep that in mind.

thanks very much :-)

Vinay M | Nov 17, 2008 | 6:38AM

I've been reading your column since the mid-nineties; I shall miss it. Hell, I still miss the toad.

Looking forward to reading you somewhere else (somehow I don't think you'll be able to shut up for long :)

Best regards and good luck for the future,
David

David L | Nov 17, 2008 | 7:36AM

I have one question. Will NerdTV or whatever you are calling it these days see the light of day or will it die? I really looked forward to the next set of interviews. But I think most have started to feel that just like Duke Nukem Forever it is just a lot of talk and will never truly become a real thing.

AnotherNerd | Nov 17, 2008 | 8:16AM

For shame, Bob! We'll miss you. Do let us know how the foil disk drives, new book, and second season of NerdTV are working out. All the best...

Derek | Nov 17, 2008 | 9:18AM

NO.>>>. Dont go Bob

Been reading your stuff since 1993 and still coming back.

At least start a Nerd Blog

Mal | Nov 17, 2008 | 10:31AM

Wherever you end up, I will be watching. Your insight to the industry has been excellent. Cringely for US CTO!

Vincente | Nov 17, 2008 | 10:44AM

You will be missed Bob.

PS Are we ever gonna get that second season of Nerd TV?

Ben | Nov 17, 2008 | 11:19AM

Bob, you've done your time, congratulations and a job well done. I've enjoyed your thought provoking columns enormously but respect your decision to move on to (lets hope) much bigger things.
Good luck to you.

Simon Clarke | Nov 17, 2008 | 12:20PM

Very sad to see you go. As my interest in sites has waxed and waned over the years, my interest in your column has not. Can't overstate my appreciation for your work.

Tim

Tim Reynolds | Nov 17, 2008 | 1:03PM

Bob,

I'll definitely miss your PBS presence. Please let me know where I can get my Cringely Fix in the future.

Alex

Alex Birch | Nov 17, 2008 | 1:42PM

Thank you, Bob for the years of entertainment and insight. I was 15 years old when Triumph of the Nerds first aired and I've been reading your column ever since. More than any other technology writer, I put trust in your opinions (at least the ones that didn't sound intentionally off the wall).

I am guessing by the extra columns that you won't be writing again for a living in the near future--but if that guess is wrong I look forward to reading your work in whatever that new capacity may be.

Thank you again, and Good Luck in the future!

Brian Crescimanno | Nov 17, 2008 | 2:59PM

Bob,

Sorry to hear you're leaving The Pulpit. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions for many years now and I've even regurgitated a few.

Good luck and we'll be looking for you...

Vaughn Corden | Nov 17, 2008 | 3:17PM

Another benefit of having someone who is broke (like you:-) get the job is that it will be very easy to tell if you were on the take while in the position. If you end up broke and with no juicy lobbyist job after you are done with the job then we'll know that you were honest during your tenure.

TPotter | Nov 17, 2008 | 3:53PM

Bob,
Thank you for the years of entertainment and the insight and information you gave. I consider you the last un-biased techno person I could depend on for answers which we all need to here.

I guess I will now have to depend on the other voices I hear in my head.....

Phil C. | Nov 17, 2008 | 4:03PM

I have been an avid reader from the time I picked up "accidental empires" from a bargen bin!
The best bargen book I have ever had. I was a thrill to bump into "bob" in a shopping mall.. pitty we didn't have time for a long chat.
I will miss this column.... and now where will I get my weekly fix of tech world insite.
I hope all goes well in the future.
How about a recap of the year that was and preditions for the future speacial one off every year?

Dave | Nov 17, 2008 | 4:22PM

how much does US CTO makes? Once you get the job, can you summon Steve Jobs anytime you want? Can you do something about SPAM, get RIAA off the back of P2P, change DMCA, give your support to Android/FireFox, and of course better bandwidth infrastructure.

cm | Nov 17, 2008 | 5:36PM

Hey Bob,

How can we have faith in you as the CTO when your website's character set look like this:

" he’s in office he’ll "

KT

Khurram | Nov 17, 2008 | 10:11PM

I'm sorry, but I will not be able to accept your resignation.

You will, unfortunately, be bound to continue writing your consistently insightful, interesting, and just generally awesome columns until such time as we achieve the technological singularity.

Tom Powell | Nov 17, 2008 | 10:19PM

please tell me you're leaving to make triumph of the nerds 3.

gary | Nov 18, 2008 | 1:50AM

Dear Mark,

Best of luck in your future endeavours. I'm saddened by your sudden decision to up sticks, but I hope you get the position you want. As for that CTO job, I can't think of a better choice, so I hope out fellow Nerd-in-chief Obaama will take you up on your offer.

Cheers

Von Rippenthrob | Nov 18, 2008 | 5:21AM

Hi Bob
I too, like some of the readers have been following you since the Infoworld days. I suddenly realise I will be at a loss to get an interesting, thought provoking unbiased view of what is happening on the tech front. I trully hope you will be still commenting on tech world.
Also is this a break of form, a job your not being fired from.
All the best for the future and the moon shot.
Craig

Craig Chitty | Nov 18, 2008 | 8:12AM

In the current economic situation, that is a very courageous decision.

In the UK that is shorthand for "have you taken leave of your senses?"

On the other hand, I never had to think of something insightful & interesting every week.

I think you must be getting the Tony Fadell job.

Steve would rather have you inside the tent p***ing out than outside the tent p***ing in.

Peter Munks | Nov 18, 2008 | 8:41AM

Be very sad to see you leave this behind, as long as you blog every once in a while somewhere we will be happy.

CTO wise various CEOs of big tech companies have just resigned or retired. Could they be putting themselves forward for this?

Thurstan | Nov 18, 2008 | 9:32AM

Alas, such jobs are often filled as payment for political favors (past or future), rather than given to the most qualified candidate.

Charlotte web developer | Nov 18, 2008 | 10:56AM

please have a look at the following group

richter | Nov 18, 2008 | 2:15PM

Sad to see you go, but keep blogging SOMEWHERE! We look forward to your insight and theories on the tech sector.

If you do become the CTO, please remember who your early Facebook friends were when putting together your staff. ;)

Seriously though, you would do a great job. My fear is that the administration will feel compelled to go the "big time corporate figure" route, which would be a mistake.

Brian | Nov 18, 2008 | 3:44PM

I sure hope you will continue writig somewhere! You're too funny and smart to miss. Please let us know where we will be able to read you.

Best,

Dorothy

dorothy | Nov 18, 2008 | 4:53PM

Hi Bob

What more can I add to all these comments?
I suppose all good things come to an end eventually.

I've really enjoyed your TV shows, Accidental Empires, and this column. Without you, there would be so many things that I would not have known about! And it was all delivered in such an interesting, entertaining and personal way, sometimes helpfully coinciding with events in my life. Thank you.

Although it would be great if you continue writing somewhere, I can understand how you might need a complete change after all these years.

I really do wish you and your family well.

Alan

Alan Edmonds | Nov 18, 2008 | 6:22PM

I've enjoyed your columns for a long time. Thanks for all you've given us. I'd be delighted to have you speaking for at CTO!

Mike Williamson | Nov 18, 2008 | 10:32PM

Your COMMENTS will be missed. I look forward weekly to reading your weekly Bob.

Best of Luck to you!

Alvaro Guevara | Nov 19, 2008 | 3:30AM

Echoing what everybody else has said, your columns and insights will be greatly missed. Too many are focused on technology as a supporter role rather than as the innovation driver that you have come to recognize.

Best of luck, hope to find your columns come across my desk again some day soon.

kmehling | Nov 19, 2008 | 10:07AM

I'm devastated. I'm a couple weeks behind my Cringely reading and now I find this! Cringely was the one place I could always find interesting "big picture" commentary on tech and now it's going away.

Bob, you have to do your own blog or something. Don't leave us hanging, please!

I would pay a yearly subscription to continue my weekly Cringely fix. Think about it. Loyal paid subscribers, not for a whole magazine, but for one column.

Phil Carson | Nov 19, 2008 | 2:33PM

Bob-

Being a reader of this column literally since day 1, I'll be sad to see it go.

That having been said, while your proposal to become this nations first CTO seems self-aggrandizing, truth-be-told, I think you would make a damn fine CTO.

Best of luck with whatever you move onto next. I'll be there reading, watching, etc.

...Speaking of which, where's that next book you mentioned in a column some years ago? May I read it anyway?!

Vincent Vazzo | Nov 19, 2008 | 4:20PM

Got a referral for a Cringley replacement voice? Where do we go to get a weekly dose of rumor, gossip and analysis?

Craig | Nov 19, 2008 | 5:58PM

God speed, to Washington or wherever else you choose. I have loved your articles and look forward to more of whatever we get from you.

Duane Blanchard | Nov 19, 2008 | 6:12PM

I do think you'd make a great USCTO.

Duane Blanchard | Nov 19, 2008 | 6:13PM

He has my recommendation. If he does get the job, I hope the transparency he talks about just ends up being a blog where explains and describes his thoughts and actions. In other words, pretty much like his column, but with more power behind the words. Of course, he would have to lose the pseudonym.

Eugene Cook | Nov 19, 2008 | 10:06PM

Dude!

Steve Scarbrough | Nov 20, 2008 | 9:48AM

may haps we should sent obama an e-mail suggesting bob for the job

ROBERT CALLAWAY | Nov 20, 2008 | 11:11PM

say it ain't so. you are the one man I have been able to trust to keep me on the straight and narrow technology wise.
As for CTO, I say we should all post links to this column on change.gov !!

John Keller | Nov 23, 2008 | 10:17AM

I have enjoyed your
columns for so many
years.

It is sad to see you are leaving.

Any suggestions on Who should I read next?

el viejo | Nov 27, 2008 | 10:10PM

PBS is laying you off. My god this economy is worse than I thought. Maybe moving to Boston is a bad idea.

Sean | Nov 30, 2008 | 3:09PM

Bob,

I am not a computer pro. Just a user. I'm sure there are thousands like me in the 'silent majority' who are grateful to you for helping us decipher the IT revolution for all these years.

Although I wish you the best in your future endeavors, I am crying electronic tears of remorse at the thought of you leaving us.

Dean Calcagni | Dec 01, 2008 | 11:56AM

Hi Bob,

Wow. I missed this column and I am completely stunned. I have been reading your column since 1999 and it seems as if an era is coming to a close. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Knowing you, they will be a lot of fun, interesting and maybe just a tad bit crazy. Good luck.

Joe Latrell | Dec 01, 2008 | 8:43PM

Oh, Robert,

I'm so sorry to see your columns end.

The Gods know that excellence is rare. And treasured.

John Weiss | Dec 12, 2008 | 5:16AM

Say it ain't so! I've been a power user since 1985 and there are a lot of people who need you. The kids today, with their GUI's, they've got no idea how a computer works. I do my best to tell the old-timers stories of the days before hard drives, back when the floppy was king and CLI was the only game in town, but you do it so much better. I'm gonna miss you Cringely. I hope that whatever you do will continue to inform the people of the world of what has come before.

AndroidBoy420 | Dec 14, 2008 | 6:57AM