Voyage to Kure: More Fun Adventures
Go Outside and …
- Investigate native and invasive species in your area.
- Research which species are native to where you live.
- Do a species survey, using a field guide to identify native and invasive species and compare percentages of each.
- Look into how the exotic (non-native) species may have come to your area and try to determine if they are harmful to the native ecosystem.
- Just a Dream, by Chris Van Allsburg, or The Lorax, by Dr.Seuss, two great children's books that are fun for all ages.
- Halfway through each story, stop and guess what is going to happen.
- Write a sequel to the story -- what takes place next?
- A local landfill or recycling center and take a tour.
- Find out what path your waste takes after it leaves your house. (Waste that is properly disposed of has a much smaller chance of ending up as marine debris.)
- Learn more about how different materials -- plastics, glass, aluminum, paper -- are recycled.
- Do a recycling inventory of your household garbage: Calculate the percentage of the trash in your house that is recyclable.
Join a …
- Watershed or coastal cleanup effort.
- Invasive species removal project.
- Native species planting endeavor.