How to Organize a "Friends of the Library" Group
| Home | About the Show | Previous Shows | Employee Lounge | Toolkit |
- Determine purpose of group and need for group. This
should be done with the librarian and a small core of
- Select steering committee to reflect your community,
and the needs of the group. It is important to have
access to an attorney, PR and advertising talent, and
high profile leaders.
- Work on Federal and State tax-exempt status with
lawyer's help, so that when you collect dues they
will be deductible. At the same time work on a
constitution and by-laws.
Define your dues structure and membership categories.
- Decide on membership brochure, art work, and how you
Begin publicity campaign in community. Be sure to
involve elected officials, trustees, other interested
- Decide on tentative schedule for first year, in order
to involve new members on committees as soon as they
- If fund raising is important, have campaign in place
and goals set. People like to know where their money
- Set opening meeting. Plan program carefully. Have
brief agenda for first annual meeting.
- Develop long-range plan for Friends.
Source: Friends Of Libraries USA.
Return to Livelyhood Featured Story
Return to "Our Towns"
| Feedback | Site Index | PBS Online |