Stern's Palachinta Tower (Episode
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
10 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 cup strawberry or apricot preserves
- Mix together in a bowl the eggs, salt, 4 tablespoons of the sugar, the flour, and the milk, beating until smooth.
- Heat a 6-inch frying pan over medium heat with a teaspoon of oil. Pour about 2 tablespoons of the batter into the pan or enough to completely cover the bottom of the pan when it is swirled around. After 1 to 2 minutes on one side, flip it to finish cooking. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding small amounts of oil when necessary.
- Put the chopped pecans and the preserves in separate bowls.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a round baking pan, and in the bottom of the pan place 1 crepe. Spoon a film of strawberry preserves over the crepe. Cover this with another crepe and layer this one with the nuts. Continue to layer the crepes alternatively with the preserves and the nuts, finishing with the preserves.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes until the preserves caramelize. Cut as you would a pie.
Yield: approximately 12 crepes or 1 tower (D)