Vinegar Factory's Kasha, Lentil, and Roasted Vegetable Kugel (or
Loaf) (Episode 18)
5 cups Spanish or other sweet onions, peeled and diced
1 ˝ cups canola or toher vegetable oil
8 medium tomatoes, sliced thin (about 10 cups) or 2 cups sun-dried tomatoes
5 tablespoons salt
4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
4 large carrots, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
3 medium turnips (about 3 cups)
1 large eggplant, diced
2 cups French lentils
8 cups water
1 ˝ cups whole kasha
3 large whole eggs
1 1/3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Put the onions in a sauté pan with 1//2 cup of the oil. Sauté slowly, until the onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put the fresh tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Toss with ˝ cup oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the salt and a teaspoon of the pepper. Place in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown and the juice has evaporated.
- Toss the carrots, parsnips, turnips, and eggplant in a bowl with the remaining ˝ cup oil, 2 tablespoons salt, and 3 teaspoons of pepper. Place on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and tender, but not mushy.
- Put the lentils in a saucepan with 6 cups of the water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes, uncovered, or until tender.
- Put the kasha in a bowl. Beat 1 of the eggs and add to the kasha, coating it well.
- Heat a heavy 6-cup saucepan and add the kasha. Stir continuously until toasted about 1 to 2 minute. Add remaining 2 cups cold water and cover. Simmer, 10 to 12 minutes, or until the kasha is tender but not mushy.
- Mix the onions, the roasted tomatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, eggplant, lentils, and kasha together in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining 2 eggs, vegetable stock, 2 tablespoons more salt, crushed red pepper, and remaining thyme.
- Place in a greased 9 X 13-inch baking dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until light-golden brown and firm to the touch.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings (P)