| Pandora's Chicken (Episode
1/2 cup good quality red-wine vinegar
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon light olive oil
1/2 cup fresh oregano
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 head fresh garlic, peeled and pureed
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 bay leaves
1 cup ripe pitted olive, halved
5 pounds of boneless and skinned chicken breasts, halved
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup good red wine
8 shallots, chopped
1 tablespoon margarine
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved
2 16-ounce cans artichoke hearts, drained
- In a 9- by 12-inch or similar size baking dish, mix the wine vinegar, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, the oregano, parsley, garlic, kosher salt, pepper, bay leaves, and olives. Add the chicken breasts and marinate, covered with foil, in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day sprinkle with the brown sugar and red wine. Bake for 1 hour, covered, in a preheated 350-degree oven. Cool
- Remove the chicken breasts and cut into bite-size chunks and return to the baking dish.
- In a frying pan saute the shallots in the margarine and remaining tablespoon olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- Pour the sun-dried tomatoes mixture over the chicken and reheat in the 350-oven for about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and serve with a large green salad, saffron rice, and a good bottle of red wine.
Yield: 12 servings (M)