Chicken Paprikash (Episode
The beauty of this dish is that it tastes better the next day
and this way you can remove any coagulated fat before serving.
1 chicken, cut in about 8 pieces (about 4 pounds)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 large onion, grated
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-3 medium carrots, grated
1 green pepper, grated
- To remove the skin from the tomatoes boil a pot of water and
dip the tomatoes in the water for thirty seconds. When the tomatoes
are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice them in quarters.
Remove the seeds and set aside.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and paprika and set
- Sauté the grated onion in the vegetable oil in a frying
pan for about 2 minutes. Then add the carrots, pepper and tomatoes
- After about 5 minutes arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables
(no need to brown the chicken) and stir a bit.
- Cover the pan and simmer on a low heat until the chicken and
vegetables are tender, about 1½ hours. When ready to serve,
heat the chicken paprikash in its pot on a low light for about
10 minutes or until warm, stirring a bit and adding noodles or