"All these factors, intelligence, recent arrests and the passing of the Sept. 11 period allowed the president late this morning to make the decision to lower the threat," White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer said.
The alert level rose to orange on the eve of the Sept. 11 attack anniversary two weeks ago after U.S. intelligence warned that terrorists operating in several South Asian countries and linked to al-Qaida hoped to explode car bombs or launch other attacks on U.S. facilities abroad.
Officials stressed that Americans should stay vigilant, because, Fleischer said, the nation "remains on alert." (9/24/02)
Raises Threat Level to "High"
Update: Citing new and significant intelligence from several sources, the U.S. increased its threat level status to "high" -- the second-highest state on the government's five-stage Homeland Security Advisory System. (9/10/02)
RealAudio: Attorney General Ashcroft and Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge announce the terror alert status change. (9/10/02)
RealAudio: President Bush addresses officials at the Afghan embassy and then responds to reporters' questions on the U.S. terror alert status. (9/10/02)
FBI Warns of
Unconfirmed Sept. 11 Threats
A bulletin from the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center said the bureau had received "a large volume of threats of undetermined reliability," but added the FBI has has "no information indicating a specific threat" to any of the commemorative events scheduled Wednesday.
The statement says law enforcement and other groups should exercise a "heightened awareness" around several key events, including the Sept. 11 anniversary, United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York on Sept. 10 to 20 and the International Monetary Fund meeting in Washington from Sept. 25 to 29.
The FBI last week reportedly sent a message over a private law enforcement bulletin system advising a state of alert on Sept. 11, the Associated Press reports. (9/9/02)
Two Suspected of Planning Sept. 11-Related Attack
Authorities said the couple had 287 pounds of chemicals and five pipe bombs with them when they were arrested Thursday in an apartment in Walldorf, about six miles from the U.S. Army's European headquarters in Heidelberg.
"We suspect that they intended to mount a bomb attack against [U.S.] Military installations and the city of Heidelberg,'' chief law enforcement officer Thomas Schaeuble said. He had no further comment on the evidence or the alleged terror plot.
Schaeuble described the 25-year-old Turkish national as "a strict Muslim who hates Americans and Jews." The man worked at chemical warehouse in a nearby town.
His 23-year-old fiancee worked at a supermarket at a U.S. installation in Heidelberg, where some 16,000 American soldiers, family members and civilian workers are stationed. (9/6/02)
in US Terror Probe
Charge Alleged Sept. 11 Accomplice
FBI Seeks Suspected
According to FBI spokesman Bill Carter, the Bureau recently reviewed materials related to the hijackers and discovered al-Rasheed's photograph among them. Also included among the documents was an image of a Saudi passport issued to al-Rasheed on May 29, 2000.
The discovery was made Aug. 15 in a review of "materials previously recovered during the war on terrorism," the statement said. Carter did not say where the evidence had been discovered or how long it had been in the government's possession.
The FBI said authorities wish to interview al-Rasheed because he may be able to provide valuable information about the Sept. 11 attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were Saudi nationals. (8/21/02)
Trial of September 11th
Conspirator Delayed Until January
Testimony in the trial was set to begin mid-October, but will now start on Jan. 6 of next year. (8/16/02)
Judge Rules Not to Release
Names of Sept. 11 Detainees
Court Rules the U.S. Must
Reveal Detainee Identities
Update: A federal judge ruled Friday the US Justice Department has 15 days to disclose the names of people detained during the government's investigation of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. (8/2/02)
John Walker Lindh Pleads
Guilty to Charges of Helping Taliban
Lead negotiators Paul McNulty, US attorney for the eastern district of Virginia, and John Walker Lindh's lawyer, defense attorney James Brosnahan discuss the case. (7/15/02)
|Support the kind of journalism done by the NewsHour...Become a member of your local PBS station.|