Election Connection

Shift Work

Fall is a traditionally unnerving time for the U.S. economy. Black Monday, in 1987, was October 19. The stock market crash that precipitated the Great Depression was on October 24. And this week's stock drop, rebound and bailout drama has been no exception.

But what has the government done in the past to alleviate the stress and shore up the markets? And what can be done if this uncertainty continues as Election Day approaches?

Why Tuesday's Jacob Soboroff noticed an interesting fact this week - that in 1939, President Franklin Roosevelt moved Thanksgiving in an effort to spur the economy. Soboroff asks in Bail Out Our Voting System, "If we can move Thanksgiving for the convenience of retailers, what about moving Election Day for the convenience of voters?"

Roosevelt Moves Thanksgivin

While the Thanksgiving move was incredibly unpopular, it's not the first time the federal government has changed tradition. Other attempts at shifting dates of important events for the public good - like saving energy by moving daylight savings time, have been more successful.

Would you support moving Election Day if it would help the economy get back on track?

Rachel Galligan said:

I was disapopinted to hear that Gwen Eifel will not be able to ask any follow up questions at the debate. To me this is caving to candidates demands rather then clearly representing the publics best interest.

Rachel Galligan

Luke Jackson said:

I can't believe Gwen Eifel is the moderator. Just remember Gwen, when you show your bias towards Obama nad Biden, all America will see through you.

ocowad said:

Gwen Ifel has a HUGE conflict of interest in moderating this debate. Her book "The Age of Obama" comes out on Inauguration Day. She has a financial interest in who wins the election. Her participation is completely biased. I know that's become the norm in American News these days but it still doesn't make it "fair & balanced". How on earth does this kind of junk happen. NO $ from me PBS.

disgusted said:

I will be greatly disappointed with the Commission on Presidential Debates and PBS, if Gwen Ifill is alllowed to continue as moderator for the Vice Presidential Debate. Like many of the left-wing media, she is clearly in the tank for Barack Obama. I don't see how she can possibly conduct a fair and objective debate. If she is allowed to stay on as moderator, it will confirm with me that objective journalism in America is dead. No donations from me PBS.

Mark said:

I am very dissapointed that PBS has not put the interest of the American people as their #1 priority by deciding to leave Gwen Ifill as the Palin/Biden moderator. Who would have ever thought PBS would become just another left-wing, 2nd grade news group pushing their own agenda's into the homes of Americans.

Sandy in Georgia said:

PBS has long been a left-wing cheerleader. But having Gwen Ifill "moderate" this debate shows the nation that any pretence of fairness is out-the-window. Obama/Biden must win at all costs. The left wants the USA to become more socialist, even communist, with the government taking over more and more, until we have absolutely no liberty left. This election is too important for them to pretend to play fair. The mainstream media has not done its job in exposing Obama, and the reason is obvious-- if the average citizen knew half of what Obama is about, they wouldn't look at him twice. But the people in this country who aren't completely in the pocket of the left-wing believe what they hear instead of looking at the voting record and reading the books and finding out for themselves. This includes learning history. Just because you hated ihistory in school is no reason not to learn it now. People are being fooled big-time, and our country will never recover from it.
Gwen Ifill stands to benefit greatly if her book is published on the day Obama is sworn in; who will buy it if he loses? So besides being a liberal, she can't possibly be impartial in her questions to Biden and Palin.

Thank you for all the feedback. The PBS Ombudsman http://www.pbs.org/ombudsman/ wants to hear your concerns about these issues. Feel free to email ombudsman@pbs.org in addition to posting here.

Vgirl1 said:

The attacks on Ms. Eifel are just more of the Repugnant spin. They are doing what they always accuse Blacks and other minorities of doing, "PLAYING the VICTIM

Repugnants are trying to lower expectations, but regardless of what they do, Palin must prove she can be Commander-in-Chief during this debate. After all, McCain is 72 years old with the most dangerous and recurrent form of skin cancer known. The nation must be confident that Palin can step in and be President. Palin is not just running for VP, she is also indirectly (perhaps directly in this case) running for President

Ms. Eifel is a credible journalist with a stellar background. The Repugnants are so afraid of Ms. Palin's lack of knowledge that they are doing everything possible to change the subject and deflect the scrutiny.

The Republicans cannot hide and they cannot shield Palin no matter how they try to spin this. Palin must prove herself. If she does, she does. If she doesn't, she doesn't.

The moderator will not make a difference. Palin has it or she doesn't.

The chips will fall where they will.

Nick said:

Pretending to hold a "debate" with a biased "moderator" is simply to try to ridicule and humilate Palin. If she has to face hostile foreign leaders I would expect them to try to win any way possible, however, I don't think she'd be expected to answer a range of questions correctly off the top of her head and win in a negotiation with foreigners...there would be advisors and consultations, and (from what I've read about her) I don't think that Palin would back down and let them run all over her. She would always fight for what's best for our country. And I doubt that she'd ever say a question was "above my pay-grade".

So if the debate tonight is held asi planned, just consider it harder than negotiations, sort of like swinging 3 bats before you go up to bat with one.

Also, why do Democrats always have to call Republicans names when they leave comments? It is so childish. They are the whiners, and since they have nothing of value to add, they resort to name-calling. Republicans and those who think about the qualifications of the four candidates don't need to call names ... we just try to state the obvious. Look at Obama's qualifications compared to Palin's...why does Palin have to prove herself to be VP if he doesn't have to prove himself ready to be President? The media is hiding Obama's true character, get it out in the open and let everyone see who he associated with and who influenced him. Those of us who love freedom and liberty are scared by him. He will use his power to destroy what we have and create a socialist system.

Elena said:

VERY SAD INDEED WHEN SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT IS SHOVED UNDER THE RUG; DID YOU THINK WE THE
"EDUCATED PBS AUDIENCE" NEVER STICK OUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND AND TUNE IN TO FOX TELEVISON?
I FOR ONE DO. AND IT`S A GOOD THING I DID!!

I AM SO UPSET I PLAN TO PUT MOMEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS AND NEVER... EVER..... WATCH PUBLIC TELEVISION AGAIN!!

BETTER YET; I WILL NEVER GIVE MY HARD EARNED MONEY TO YOU IN DONATIONS.

YOU HAVE FAILED THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND HAVE NO CHUTZPAH OR YOU WOULD STOP RIGHT NOW THIS MOCKERY OF A DEBATE WITH MISS IFILL.

Patricia Palko said:

I am appalled that PBS would show such a lack of integrity in not getting an objective, unbiased moderator for the VP debate. Hopefully, if PBS prints the debate transcript, they will highlight all of Palin's improper enunciations and then do the same with each and every one of Obama's debates. He consistently uses incorrect grammar, incorrect enunciation, and it is not commented on, nor are the incorrect pronunciations spelled as he says them. Yet, I see the printed version of S. Palin's interviews printing out her incorrect enunciation i.e. yah, gonna. Obama uses gonna, hafta, get em, bein, and many others on a regular basis, yet I have yet to see his words spelled the way he says them. The Golden Rule of this: use an unbiased moderator who does not stand to profit from one candidate's success as you would want if you or a family member were in a debate.

Marie Marshall said:

Well, I'm watching the VP debate and Gwen Eifel made sure that Biden got to talk longer and be the last to speak on every subject even going so far as letting him speak when it wasn't his turn. So, she was right, watching it did show me whether I was right and the conflict of interest was clear and obvious.

This has made me decide to never again support PBS with my time or my money.

I am tired of watching the media push their own personal opinions down my throat.

Bernard Holmes said:

Regarding the comments above complaining about PBS, ever heard of Fox news? I have an idea why don't you guys watch the news that you prefer. You know the Fantasy news where all your ignorant shelter archaic beliefs can be conformed for you.. You are all Just angry that your last pick for president ruin America and deep down you all know it. Now you know your you were wrong and you still don't want to admit to it...