The time required to complete this lesson is 45 - 60 minutes.
In this lesson students will:
Computers with Internet access
1. Ask students to list on a piece of paper reasons for fear, hate and mistrust. They should come up with at least five reasons. Give them three to five minutes to create their list.
2. Brainstorm together with the students to create a class list of the reasons for fear, hate and mistrust.
4. Have the students look at the first three cartoons and answer the following questions:
5. Allow students to explore the site for five to 10 minutes.
6. If students do not have Internet access, teachers can print out two cartoons and make copies or transparencies. Students can compare the following cartoons and then write a paragraph about which cartoon they believe to be most effective and why.
1. Students should be evaluated on how well they analyzed the artist's intent and effectiveness.