In this lesson students will:
1. Prior to viewing the film, hand out the student assignment sheet and ask students: What do you know about the war on terrorism? To evaluate this have the students answer the following questions on a sheet of paper:
2. Give students a few minutes to list their responses and then conduct a classroom discussion.
3. Give the students the Glossary and Identifications sheet. The students should read this prior to viewing the documentary.
4. View the documentary "In Search of Al Qaeda." Have the students take notes as they watch, with special attention to the questions in #1. Teachers may want to stop the video periodically for discussion or clarification.
5. After watching the documentary ask the students to answer the same questions used prior to viewing the documentary.
6. For additional information, students could look at information on http://www.awesomelibrary.org/. This has an excellent search engine and includes a number of good links. This site is very dense and will require additional time in the lesson plan if you use it. As an alternative, use the backgrounder from the Federation of American Scientists that can be found at http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/terror.htm. It provides an extensive number of resources on terrorism and terrorist acts both before and after Sept. 11.
1. Participation in classroom discussion.