- How has the U.S. military's role changed since the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime?
- Who were the first groups to begin the insurgency and what were their reasons?
- Why were U.S. civilian and military personnel the initial target of the insurgents?
- In addition to U.S. personnel, who else have become targets of Al Qaeda's Abu Musab al Zarqawi? What is his strategy behind the attacks against these people?
- Describe the effect of the battle of Fallujah on the insurgent movement, both in terms of morale and their continued survival.
- Describe the different strategies U.S. and Iraqi forces took in attacking Tal Afar and Fallujah. What effect did these have on the civilian population?
- What steps toward democracy has Iraq taken since the invasion of 2003?
- How have these steps affected the insurgency's actions and goals?
- What might the future of the insurgency be like if Iraq becomes more democratic?
- What might the future of Iraq be like if the democratic process falters and the insurgency gains strength?