Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
- RH. 9-10.2 Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of how key events or ideas develop over the course of the text.
- RH. 11-12.2 Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary that makes clear the relationships among the key details and ideas.
- WHST. 9-10, 11-12.1 Write arguments focused on discipline-specific content.
- WHST. 9-10, 11-12.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- WHST. 9-10, 11-12.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question) or solve a problem; narrow or broaden the inquiry when appropriate; synthesize multiple sources on the subject, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
- WHST. 9-10, 11-12.9 Draw evidence from informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- SL. 9-10, 11-12.1 Initiate and participate effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on [grade-appropriate] topics, text, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively. (Main lesson activity, Extension 2)
- SL. 9-10.4 Present information, findings, and supporting evidence clearly, concisely, and logically, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and task.
- SL. 11-12.4 Present information, findings, and supporting evidence, conveying a clear and distinct perspective, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning, alternative or opposing perspectives are addressed, and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and a range of formal and informal tasks.
Content Knowledge: a compilation of content standards and benchmarks for K-12 curriculum by McRel (Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning).
- Civics, Standard 3: Understands the sources, purposes, and functions of law, and the importance of the rule of law for the protection of individual rights and the common good.
- Civics, Standard 28: Understands how participation in civic and political life can help citizens attain individual and public goals.
- Civics, Standard 29: Understands the importance of political leadership, public service, and a knowledgeable citizenry in American constitutional democracy.
- Language Arts, Standard 1: Uses the general skills and strategies of the writing process.
- Language Arts, Standard 3: Uses the grammatical and mechanical conventions in written compositions.
- Language Arts, Standard 4: Gathers and uses information for research purposes.
- Language Arts, Standard 5: Uses the general skills and strategies of the reading process.
- Language Arts, Standard 8: Uses listening and speaking strategies for different purposes.
- Language Arts, Standard 9: Uses viewing skills and strategies to understand and interpret visual media.
- Thinking and Reasoning, Standard 1: Understands and applies the basic principles of presenting an argument.
- Working With Others, Standard 1: Contributes to the overall effort of a group.
- Working With Others, Standard 4: Displays effective interpersonal communication skills.