- 1 vanilla bean or 1 1⁄2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups/480 ml whole milk
- 2 cups/250 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup/220 g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs, separated
- If using the vanilla bean, split lengthwise, scrape the seeds into the milk, and toss the pod in, too. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally to help break up the vanilla bean. Allow to cool, or refrigerate overnight. Discard the pod before using.
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter, egg yolks, and vanilla milk (or milk and vanilla extract). Whisk to combine.
In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks with an electric beater on medium-high speed, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold the whites into the batter.
About 5 minutes before you’re ready to make the pancakes, preheat a greased griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat; the griddle is ready when a few droplets of water sizzle and dance across the surface.
Drop 1⁄2cup/120ml of batter on to the hot griddle. When bubbles set on the surface of the pancake and the bottom is golden, flip and cook about 1 minute longer. Serve immediately, while hot.
These are best the moment they leave the griddle.