Savage Planet in the News
In this lesson
students will gain an understanding of a variety of natural events
that occur on the planet Earth. They will research volcanoes,
storms, atmospheric conditions and extreme environments. They
will work in groups to find information and collect facts; create
a simulation of a science news broadcast based on what they have
learned; watch a video clip of an avalanche and participate in
a writing activity; reflect on personal reactions to these events;
and create an artistic rendering in response to one of the different
naturally occurring events in the lesson.
Science; Language Arts
Students will be able to:
- develop an understanding of volcanoes, storms, atmospheric conditions
and extreme environments.
- conduct Internet research to increase their understanding of these
concepts and create presentations based on what they have learned.
- create a science news report to synthesize what they have learned.
- integrate video images and text.
- develop multidisciplinary learning skills.
Use of the Internet
plan was developed by Maureen Carroll and Laurel Blaine of Baybreeze
Education Resources for Teach