Visit Your Local PBS Station PBS Home PBS Home Programs A-Z TV Schedules Watch Video Donate Shop PBS Search PBS
Echoes From the White House
HOME ABOUT THE PROGRAM VIRTUAL WHITE HOUSE THE CHANGING WHITE HOUSE RESOURCES
THE CHANGING WHITE HOUSE

From 1792 From 1817 From 1902 From 1952 1902-1952:
page 3 of 3


1933
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt begins famous "fireside chat" radio broadcasts to the nation from the White House.

  • A heated indoor swimming pool is built in the west terrace for Roosevelt's poliomyelitis therapy.
FDR swimming pool
FDR's Famous fireside chat

FDR's Famous "fireside chat"
Harris and Ewing




FDR swimming pool 1933
National Archives

Steinway Piano
1938
  • Steinway and Sons give the Roosevelts a grand piano, which now sits in the East Room.

 Steinway Piano
Photo by Bruce White
White House Historical Association.

1941
  • West Executive Avenue is closed to the public for wartime security.


1942
  • The Map Room, once the cloak room for the adjoining Diplomatic Reception Room, becomes a top-secret war room.

  • An East Wing office building is added to the east terrace, including a bomb shelter and movie theater.
A modern view of the Map Room

A modern view of the Map Room
The White House Collection
White House Historical Association

1943
  • Completion of the Jefferson Memorial on the Tidal Basin crowns the vista down the South Lawn.

1947
  • Truman delivers first presidential address telecast from the White House.

1902-1952: page 3 of 3

back
next