Top stories: Earthquake in Turkey and Syria + News wrap 2/7/23 + Student video
February 7, 2023
UPDATE: Watch this story from Feb. 9, 2023, Rescue operations continue in Turkey, Syria as hope of finding earthquake survivors fades, for the most recent update.
Summary of video above: Swaths of southern Turkey and northern Syria are in ruins after a powerful earthquake ripped through the region. At least 3,400 are dead, more than 13,000 more injured and tens of thousands are homeless. The pre-dawn quake hit with a 7.8 magnitude and shook buildings as far away as Israel.
TIMECODE: Stop the video at 3m:44s for the sake of time.
For a transcript of this story, click here.
News wrap alternative: Check out the latest segments from the NewsHour, and choose the story you’re most interested in watching! You can make a Google doc copy of our Five Facts and discussion questions that work for any of the stories here.
- Who were individuals and groups discussed in the story?
- What has happened in the aftermath of the earthquake?
- Where and when did the earthquake hit? What part of the world are these countries located in?
- Why was the earthquake so devastating and cause such loss of life?
- How did governments and people around the world respond?
What can be done to mitigate (lessen) the damage of earthquakes?
Media literacy: Why do you think it was important to hear testimonial from Osama Abdel Hamid, one of the earthquake survivors?
What students can do: Skim the article below to learn about different organizations helping people in Turkey and Syria. Choose one organization to look up in more detail.
- Who founded it?
- Why was it started?
- What are some areas of emergency management the organization has worked in?
Student Video of the Day
Student climate activist: We can do this together by Student Reporting Labs
Fill out this form to share your thoughts on Classroom’s resources. Sign up for NewsHour Classroom’s ready-to-go Daily News Lessons delivered to your inbox each morning.