police tape

4 shot in Denver rampage attacked at tattoo shops

DENVER (AP) — Four of the people shot in a deadly rampage in Denver were attacked at tattoo shops, raising questions about why they were targeted.

Police say Lyndon James McLeod, 47, knew most of the people he shot Monday in several locations around the metro area, through business or personal relationships. They were still investigating his motive. Five people were fatally shot in less than an hour and two others were wounded, including a police officer who shot and killed McLeod after being hit.

WATCH: How Michigan educators are talking to students about the Oxford school shooting

McLeod once owned a business in Denver called Flat Black Ink Corp. at an address that is now World Tattoo Studio, according to records from the Colorado Secretary of State’s Office. A man who answered the phone at World Tattoo Studio hung up after he was asked about McLeod on Tuesday evening.

The first shooting took place at another tattoo shop less than a mile (1.6 kilometers) from that address.
Matt Clark, commander of the Denver Police Department’s Major Crimes Division, said Tuesday the gunman did not know the last person he shot — a clerk in a hotel in Lakewood’s Belmar shopping area. Sarah Steck, 28, who died of her injuries Tuesday. However, McLeod had had some dealings with the hotel, Clark said.

Denver Police Chief Paul Pazen said during a news conference that McLeod was on the radar of law enforcement and had been investigated in both 2020 and 2021. He declined to say what McLeod was investigated for but said charges were not filed against him.

The shootings started around 5:30 p.m. in central Denver along Broadway, a busy street lined with shops, bars and restaurants, where two people were killed at Sol Tribe Tattoo & Piercing. Authorities identified them Wednesday as the tattoo shop’s owner, Alicia Cardenas, 44, and another woman, Alyssa Gunn, 35. A man was also wounded but expected to survive, police said. He was identified by friends and customers as Gunn’s husband, James Maldonado, a piercer at the shop.

Soon after, McLeod forced his way into a nearby home that also housed a business. He pursued the occupants through the building and fired shots, but no one was injured, Clark said. Then a man was shot and killed in a home near Denver’s Cheesman Park, Clark said. He was identified Wednesday as Michael Swinyard, 67.

Later, Denver police chased the vehicle believed to have been involved in the shootings, and an officer exchanged gunfire with McLeod, Clark said. McLeod was able to get away, fleeing into Lakewood, after gunfire disabled the officer’s cruiser, he said.

Just before 6 p.m., the Lakewood Police Department received a report of shots fired at the Lucky 13 tattoo shop. Danny Scofield, 38, was killed there, Lakewood police spokesperson John Romero said.

When officers spotted the car suspected of being involved in the shooting at the Belmar shopping area — where shops line sidewalks in a modern version of a downtown — McLeod opened fire and officers shot back, Romero said. He ran away and allegedly threatened some people in a restaurant with a gun before going to the Hyatt House hotel, where he spoke briefly with Steck, the clerk, before shooting her, he said.

About a minute later, a Lakewood police officer saw McLeod and ordered him to drop his weapon. She was shot in the abdomen but fired back at him, Romero said.

The wounded officer, whose name has not been released, underwent surgery Monday night. She is expected to make a full recovery.

On Tuesday, candles, flower bouquets and some containers of fruit rested in the doorway of Cardenas’ tattoo shop as people, including her fiance, Daniel Clelland, stopped by to remember a woman they said cared for so many.

“I don’t know why someone would do this,” Clelland said.

Cardenas’ father, Alfredo Cardenas, told KMGH-TV that his only daughter owned her first tattoo shop when she was 19 and had worked in the Broadway location for 15 to 20 years.

Cardenas is survived by her 12-year-old, Alfredo Cardenas said.

“Very gregarious, very friendly, but she was a very determined person,” he said. “She knew where she was going.”

Associated Press photographer David Zalubowski and writer Thomas Peipert contributed to this report.