At least eight women said they were sexually harassed by Charlie Rose while employed by or trying to secure a job at the longtime television host’s show, the Washington Post reported Monday.
The allegations span decades, according to the Post, and come from women who ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of their encounters.
Some women said Rose, whose show airs on PBS, groped them or made unwanted sexual advances. Others described lewd phone calls in which Rose shared his sexual fantasies.
A PBS spokesperson told the PBS NewsHour that “PBS was shocked to learn” about “these deeply disturbing allegations,” and that it would immediately suspend distribution of Rose’s show.
“’Charlie Rose’ is produced by Charlie Rose, Inc., an independent television production company. PBS does not fund this nightly program or supervise its production, but we expect our producers to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect,” the spokesperson said.
Rose was also suspended immediately from CBS, where Rose was a co-host of “CBS This Morning” and a correspondent for “60 Minutes.”
“These allegations are extremely disturbing and we take them very seriously,” the company said in a tweet.
In a statement, Rose said “it is essential that these women know I hear them and that I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior. I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate.” (Read Rose’s full statement here).
The allegations come on the heels of sweeping accusations of sexual misconduct by powerful figures across industries, from government to Hollywood. On Monday morning, journalist Glenn Thrush was suspended by the New York Times after young female journalists accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior. This weekend, the actor Jeffrey Tambor announced he would leave his leading role in the Amazon series “Transparent,” weeks after the company began an investigation into claims of sexual harassment by Tambor on set. (Amazon Studios chief Roy Price resigned last month over similar accusations).
After the Post published its story, journalist Lizzie O’Leary, who was not one of the women included in the newspaper’s report, said she was also the subject of sexual harassment from Rose. In a piece earlier this month, O’Leary had detailed all the instances of sexual harassment or unwanted advances she had endured over her 17-year career. The unnamed anchor, “who looks you up and down like you’re a meal, when you are there to talk about congressional budgets,” was Rose, she tweeted Monday.
If you read my piece in The Cut https://t.co/SmgMvlBAgK you may have wondered who the anchor was. Now you know. (I am not in the Post story.)
— Lizzie O'Leary (@lizzieohreally) November 20, 2017
PBS NewsHour will update this story as it becomes available.