Leave your feedback Share Copy URL https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/chicago-shooting-investigation-intensifies Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Tumblr Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Chicago shooting investigation intensifies Nation Sep 20, 2013 4:37 PM EST The scene of a multiple shooting near intersection of 50th and Wood in Chicago, Illinois, as seen on Thursday. Photo by Phil Velasquez/Chicago Tribune/MCT via Getty Images Chicago police are on the hunt for suspects in last night's shooting that wounded 13 people in a park on the city's South Side. The youngest victim -- a 3-year-old boy -- remains in critical condition. Witnesses reported the bullets were fired from a passing car. Mayor Rahm Emanuel denounced the shooting in several statements posted on Twitter: Senseless and brazen acts of violence have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for. — Rahm Emanuel (@RahmEmanuel) September 20, 2013 The perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. — Rahm Emanuel (@RahmEmanuel) September 20, 2013 Earlier today, Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy said the incident appears to be gang-related. So far, no suspects are in custody. "We're talking to a number of people right now. Obviously, we have a ton of investigators working, interviewing everybody who was at the scene, interviewing the victims, interviewing witnesses, pulling video from places where we could find it." -- Garry McCarthy, Chicago Superintendent of Police H/T Alexis Cox A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy. Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue. Donate now
The scene of a multiple shooting near intersection of 50th and Wood in Chicago, Illinois, as seen on Thursday. Photo by Phil Velasquez/Chicago Tribune/MCT via Getty Images Chicago police are on the hunt for suspects in last night's shooting that wounded 13 people in a park on the city's South Side. The youngest victim -- a 3-year-old boy -- remains in critical condition. Witnesses reported the bullets were fired from a passing car. Mayor Rahm Emanuel denounced the shooting in several statements posted on Twitter: Senseless and brazen acts of violence have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for. — Rahm Emanuel (@RahmEmanuel) September 20, 2013 The perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. — Rahm Emanuel (@RahmEmanuel) September 20, 2013 Earlier today, Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy said the incident appears to be gang-related. So far, no suspects are in custody. "We're talking to a number of people right now. Obviously, we have a ton of investigators working, interviewing everybody who was at the scene, interviewing the victims, interviewing witnesses, pulling video from places where we could find it." -- Garry McCarthy, Chicago Superintendent of Police H/T Alexis Cox A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy. Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue. Donate now