Falling crane kills 2 at stadium hosting World Cup opener

Video by the Associated Press

Updated 3:10 p.m. EST | The Associated Press amended the death toll to two people killed in the crane collapse.

SAO PAULO -- A construction crane collapsed onto the Itaquereao Stadium in Brazil on Wednesday, killing two people, the Associated Press reports.

The stadium, which seats nearly 70,000 people and cost nearly $360 million, is one of 12 venues that will host World Cup matches in 2014. The stadium was also near completion with the crane installing the last part of the structure.

Some local media outlets changed the death toll to two, CNN reports, after fire department officials had previously placed the count at three.

"Everything was being done according to procedure," said Frederico Barbosa, the construction site's manager. "We will have to wait for the investigation to find out what caused the crane to collapse."

The AP reports that officials said there were no major structural damages to the stadium.

A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy.

Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue.