As Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump continues to face criticism for calling for a ban on Muslims entering the United States less than a month ago, a group with links to the Islamic militant group al-Shabab has released a recruitment video that includes those remarks.
The 51-minute video, released by the Somalia-based Islamist militant group al-Shabab on Twitter shows Trump calling for a ban on Muslims in the U.S. to a cheering crowd of supporters. It also includes footage of recent police shootings and violence against African Americans in Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri, claiming this is what is in store for Muslims in the U.S.
“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on,” Trump first said to his supporters following the San Bernardino, California, shooting and the attacks on Paris in November.
Al-Shabab is pushing to install sharia law and overthrow Somalia’s western-backed government. The group is also suspected of having ties to the Islamic State and al-Qaeda, which has struck several targets in Kenya and Ethiopia.
Trump’s comments were widely criticized by leaders around the world and in the U.S., including by Hillary Clinton during a Democratic presidential debate in late December, during which she accused the billionaire of insulting Islam and stirring up religious fervor that would “recruit more radical jihadists.”
Trump appeared to hit back Saturday on Twitter:
Hillary Clinton said that it is O.K. to ban Muslims from Israel by building a WALL, but not O.K. to do so in the U.S. We must be vigilant!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 2, 2016
Trump had previously called for surveillance of mosques and spoke about the possibility of establishing a database for all Muslims in the U.S.