The Brewer’s Association has released its list of 2014’s 50 biggest craft beer brewers in the United States.
The trade group describes American craft brewers as “small, independent and traditional“. D.G. Yuengling and Son, Inc., based in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, ranked highest among craft breweries by beer sales volume, while Anheuser-Busch, Inc., sold the most beer among breweries overall.
Nationwide, there are 3,418 craft breweries in operation, which are part of booming business, according to the association’s chief economist, Bart Watson. In an interview with Yahoo! Finance, he said, “Almost 75 percent of Americans now live within 10 miles of a brewery, so it’s not just one place. We’re seeing dynamic growth in a lot of different markets.”
Take our short quiz to find out how well you know your craft beer.
Answers are below the map.
1) Which large craft brewer based in Pennsylvania sells its signature beer in a green bottle?
2) Guess who is number 50? Hint: Ski town, Vanilla Porter
3) Which of these 50 largest craft breweries has the highest ranking beer according to Beer Advocate? Hint: Michigan
4) Which state has the most breweries in the top 50? Hint: You don’t need a hint for this one
Map: America’s 50 biggest craft breweries
1) Answer: D.G. Yuengling and Son is located in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. East coasters are familiar with the green Yuengling bottle.
2) Answer: Breckenridge Brewing Company is actually based in Denver, Colorado
3) Answer: Founders Brewing Company CBS Imperial Stout gets a 4.65 rating from Beer Advocate
4) Answer: California has 11 of the top 50 craft breweries.