HONOLULU — President Barack Obama is applauding Sony Pictures Entertainment’s decision to screen its film “The Interview” in a limited number of theaters.
White House spokesman Eric Schultz says the decision by Sony and some theaters allows individuals to make their own decisions about the film. He says the White House welcomes that outcome.
Schultz is stressing that the U.S. believes in free speech and the right of artistic expression.
Sony announced a limited release of “The Interview” beginning Thursday, or Christmas Day. The comedy prompted an international incident with North Korea and outrage over its canceled release.
The White House says Sony kept it informed about their deliberations over the weekend. Obama had earlier criticized Sony for failing to consult him about their decision to cancel the release.
Actor James Franco celebrated Sony’s decision on his personal Instagram account: