While previously reported figures placed the death toll closer to 10,000, the final toll is likely closer to 2,000 or 2,500 in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said to CNN Tuesday.
“The figure right now I have is about 2,000, but this might still get higher,” he said.
Aquino said the initial figure of 10,000 was “too much.”
“There was emotional drama involved with that particular estimate,” he said.
As of Tuesday morning, the official death toll reached 1,774.
You can watch President Benigno Aquino III interview with CNN below:
Video by CNN
More on Typhoon Haiyan: