A second video emerged Wednesday that reportedly showed the fatal confrontation between Alton Sterling, who is black, and Baton Rouge police officers outside a convenience store early Tuesday.
The second video, obtained by The Advocate, captured a closer angle of the fatal shooting.
In the 35-second cell phone footage, two officers are seen wrestling with a man on the ground. As heard in the first video, someone is shouting, “He’s got a gun! Gun!” before multiple shots ring out. (WARNING: Video contains graphic footage.)
Cell phone footage shows the confrontation Tuesday between Alton Sterling and police officers. WARNING: Video contains graphic footage. Viewer discretion is advised. Video by The Daily Beast
The unidentified passerby filming the incident turns the cameraphone away as the gunshots are heard. When the camera turns back to the scene, a man is seen lying on his back.
Sterling, 37, was shot and killed around 12:35 a.m. Tuesday after the Baton Rouge Police Department responded to a 911 call about a man in a red shirt outside the Triple S Food Mart making threats with a gun, the department said in a statement on Facebook.
The Daily Beast, who also posted the new footage, said the video was provided by Triple S store owner Abduallah Muflahi. Muflahi told The Daily Beast that Sterling had been selling CDs outside the store for years.
Abdullah Muflahi, owner of store where Alton Sterling killed in BR, describes seeing shooting by officer pic.twitter.com/08ABnQwr6a
— Maya Lau (@mayalau) July 5, 2016
Earlier today, Muflahi told The Advocate that he was two feet away from the altercation and saw an officer shoot four to six times into Sterling’s chest. Muflahi offered more details of what he witnessed:
“His hand was nowhere [near] his pocket,” Muflahi said, adding that Sterling wasn’t holding a weapon. After the shooting, an officer reached into Sterling’s pocket and retrieved a handgun, Muflahi said.
Following a national outcry over Sterling’s death, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards announced Wednesday that the Justice Department will lead a civil rights investigation into the incident.
“I have very serious concerns. The video is disturbing, to say the least,” the governor told reporters, after having reviewed the first cell phone video that surfaced soon after the shooting.