Good morning. Here’s the news on our radar this morning:
Kenya – Mall Attack
- Kenyan forces claim to have control of the mall, despite the fact that an unknown number of gunmen are still inside.
- New explosions and gunfire rocked the mall as the hostage standoff entered the 3rd day.
- The attackers were identified as 10 to 15 militants from al-Qaeda-linked Somali group, al-Shabab.
The group says the attack is revenge for the Kenyan military’s offensive in Somalia in 2011.
Pakistan – Church Bombing
- Christians protest after Taliban suicide bombers kill at least 78 church-goers in Peshawar on Sunday.
Iran – Nuclear Ambitions
- Before leaving for the UN, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani calls for “interaction” with Western leaders.
Germany – Election
- In a Sunday memorial for Navy Yard victims, President Obama says “we can’t accept this”, and urges the nation to address gun violence.
- On “Meet the Press”, the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre blames a “complete breakdown” of the mental health system that leaves “homicidal maniacs” loose.
- With one week to go, both sides stand their ground on Sunday